How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask General Jay Your Own Question
General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...
General Jay is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stainless steel sink to install above a laminate countertop.

Resolved Question:

I have a stainless steel sink to install above a laminate countertop. I don't know what clips to use to secure it in the hole. It does not have a J shape or channel to hook the clips to. Any Ideas? Thanks. David
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer!


If there is not a channel for the clips to attach to then it sounds like you have a self-rimming drop-in sink without clamps.


This type of sink is installed by placing it into the counter top cutout with the rim of the sink resting on the counter top. A bead of caulking is applied around the edge of the entire sink to hold the sink in place and to provide a water tight seal.


Unfortunately, clips are not going to work with the type of sink that you have because there is no place to attach the clips to on the bottom of the stainless steel sink.


Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a small lip underneath the sink that a clip could possibly attach to but I'm not sure. I'm worried that the sink wont be stable with just calk. It's stainless steel and doesn't weigh much. Is there a caulk that is super strong or an additional way to support sink stability? Thanks.
Expert:  General Jay replied 6 years ago.
I will research different types of clips and send you a link to a few sites. I had the understanding that there was no lip or channel to attach to. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion JT. I just looked at the sink again and the lip I'm talking about is just the fold under from the top surface of the sink (not really a lip-just the excess steel folded underneath). Any really strong caulk I should get or additional means of stability I could use to secure it better? Thanks JT.
Expert:  General Jay replied 6 years ago.

You can use an all purpose adhesive caulk to provide the bond and seal needed.


Attached is a link to the product for your review. This typically can be found at any home improvement store.



General Jay and 25 other General Specialists are ready to help you