General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

this is a continuation of the question I asked on 2-27-11,

ie: can anyone out there...
this is a continuation of the question I asked on 2-27-11, ie: can anyone out there find out and give me written confirmation (or written denial) that my grandpa was (or was not) a member of the first football team for Baylor University????? His name was William Wallace Simmons and he was sometimes called "Will". His Date of Birth was May 22, 1883. Another family member recently told me that he played center on this team......I would love to have some tangible proof of this!!! Can any of your experts help me with this???
Answered in 5 days by:
4/6/2011
Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Hello, I contacted the Baylor athletic department media person to see if they had old rosters in their files. They did not, but they directed me to the Texas Collection which is a special collections library on campus. I have a call in there to see if they have anything including old yearbooks or photos. As soon as I hear, I will let you know. Thanks!

Jennifer.....Thank you for working on this for me. I think you are the third person to work on this. Too bad, because the first two people got paid, by me, and I never got a real answer from them. So....I am hesitent to click on 'accept answer' this early. I am hoping you will understand.......Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

jenelle

Hi Jenelle, I completely understand. I hope to hear one way or the other from the Texas Collection today. Also, you are allowed to ask for a refund if you aren't satisfied with your previous answers. Thanks!

OK! Here is what I received from Baylor:

Unfortunately, there is no yearbook for 1899 or 1900. The earliest yearbook we have is 1896. The yearbooks pick up again in 1902.

But I have been able to track down the info you need. I found a photograph of the 1899 team. On the back, they identify the players by last name only. They are: Slaughter, Phillips, Moore, Alexander, Fisher, Benevides, Dodson, Cranfill, Patterson, Tyler, Allen, McLendon, Slaughter, Timmons, Talley, East, Wilson, Garrett, McCrary, and Davis.

I think I can identify the players first names from the old catalogs, if you like. However, it will take me a little longer to get this info to you.

I'm attaching a copy of our photocopy form. If you'd like for me to send a scan of the photo, please read over the form, fill it out in its entirety and either mail (Attn: Amie Oliver, The Texas Collection, One Bear Place #97142, Waco, TX 76798) or fax (254.710.1368). I shall send the item as soon as I get your completed form. When filling out the form, indicate that the item is a photograph of the 1899 Baylor football team.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Amie Oliver

Coordinator for User and Access Services

The Texas Collection

What I am wondering is if "Timmons" is actually "Simmons"! Here is a link to the form she references in case you want to get a copy of the photo CLICK HERE.

I hope it is him! Thanks and good luck!

Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
dear XXXXX, thank you for your hard work on this, for me! I will ask for the old photo - as soon as I get this typed to you. I, also think (hope) that the name of Timmons will be incorrect!!! I will get back to you as soon as I know anything!!! thank you, again!!! jenelle
Jennifer, Thank you, again! I have the form filed out & ready to send to Arnie @ The Texas collection. & I have a couple more questions for you! (1. ) will you ask Arnie if he will please go ahead & try to find out the first names of the men in the photo? (if the man's name is William Wallace 'Timmons'....!!!) & (2.) Will you find out, please, how/if I could get any copies made for my first cousins? (7), + my children, (2), + my nieces and nephews (7---from my 2 deceased sisters). + myself would be a total of 17. I realize that what I am asking for is a "stretch"! However I would like to know if this would even be a possibility, be-cause if it is not then I don't think I can show any of them my copy of the photo in question. We have always been/are a very close family and each of us has always loved our grandparents dearly and IF this picture is the proof that we have been looking for so long---how exciting that would be!!! thank you, again & in advance!!! jenelle
jennifer.....of course all these copies becomes a non-issue if I get a copy of the photograph and determine that the man in question is not be our grandad!!!!!!!
Hi Jenelle, I did hear back and this is what they said:

I checked the 1899-1900 catalog, and the only students I found resembling Timmons/Simmons is: Daisy Lee Simmonds, James Persons Simonds, Robert Lewis Timmins, and Lorenzo Zachary Timmons.

I don’t think this helps you at all, so if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Amie Oliver
Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant