How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 21336
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

person is requesting a $4500 travel allowance fee to come from

This answer was rated:

person is requesting a $4500 travel allowance fee to come from England to the U.S. Why is she requesting this?

Is this person someone you met online?

Do you know her personally or have you ever met in person?

Did she give you a reason for the request of this amount of money?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry - maybe i didn't put my reply in the right spot -this is about my 83 yr old recently widowed dad that does not know this person except from - she said after my dad paid for an ailrline ticket for her to come to the US that she needed $4500 for travel allowance - we've read this is a scam...
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.

Yes, this definitely sounds like a scam and I hope your dad has not yet sent her any money, personal information, or an airline ticket. The person he's communicating with is most likely not even located in the U.K. and is most likely not even a woman. These 'romance scams' are rampant on the internet and many of them originate in foreign countries like Ghana, Nigeria, Russia, and other countries in Europe. Here is some 'proof' to show your dad, if he thinks you're trying to 'interfere' too much:

I hope you can help your dad to stop all communication with this person, and you might even want to report it to law enforcement authorities.

Good luck and I hope all works out well with your dad!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher and 27 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions