General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

The Mair family tree. I have got as far as James & Elizabeth

Customer Question
The Mair family tree. I have...
The Mair family tree.
I have got as far as James & Elizabeth Mair Siblings
James migrated to NZ, as did John, I have all their history in New Zealand
Ann I believe she married a Cowie can you Help & at what cost?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
Relist: No answer yet.
Answered in 17 days by:
4/8/2011
Expert: A. Schuyler, Research Analyst replied 6 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for contacting us. We need some more information before we can start looking. For instance, around when were James and Elizabeth MAIR born and where? Who were the other siblings? When did they migrate to NZ? Do you know who the men married, when, and where? Who was Ann and which Cowie did she marry and where? In genealogy, we work backward using as much information as possible.

Hi, I have recorded all info of John and James Mair here in NZ and desendants to the present day.
John Mair had a son in NZ named William John Mair, On William John Mair's death certificate it names John as father and Mary Ann Luce as Mother. It also states John Mair was born in Aberdeenshire Scothland.
According to John Mair's death certificate,
John Mair died in Timaru NZ 1894 at the age of 50, lived in NZ for 29 years. This means he was abt 21years of age arriving in NZ. It names his father as James Mair & mother as Elizabeth (nee Webster) Mair and the profession as farmer. He was born in Aberdour Aberdeenshire Scotland. Left 1 son aged 11 in NZ
According to James Mair's death certificate,
James Mair died in Timaru NZ at the age of 67 on the 29 August 1910 and lived in NZ for 45 years. He was abt 22 years of arriving in NZ. It also names his father as James and Elizabeth (nee Webster) as mother. He was married twice in NZ. Place of birth again in Aberdeen Scotland. Profession as Gentleman. Left 1 son and 1 daughter.

My records show the following info came from:-
Reference came from 1851 Scotland Census.
I have managed to track down a James and Elizabeth nee Webster (AKA known as Petrie) Mair.
They had 4 children; John Mair, James Mair, Isabella Mair, and Ann Mair. I have managed to find reference to a Ann Mair Marriage certificate to a Alexander Cowie who had 6 children which names James & Elizabeth Mair as father & mother.

Ann children named are Elizabeth, John, Alexander, Margaret, Mary, Isabella, all with the surname Cowie. Ann born abt 1845 in Aberdour and died 21 July 1891 in Kinninmonth Lomnay Scothland aged 46.
Reference to info came from :- lescruickshank1 cruickshanktree.

I have no info on the following:-
If the above is fact James and Elizabeth Mair's frather and mother nor any where abouts of Isabella.

Scotlands census 1851 Scotland census for James and Elizabeth (nee Webster) Mair as far as I can asertain their birth dates as 1811

Scotland census 1851 places James Mair as 47, Elizabeth Mair as 46, Isabella 14, Janes as 11, John as 8, Ann as 6.

I think I have given all I have Regards Barrie Mair

Hi, Barrie,

Thanks for all the additional information. Now, what is it that we can help you find out?

I
If thesupplied facts are right
I need info on the following
  1. James father and mother and
  2. Elizabeth Webster Mair'sFather & Mother
  3. any where abouts of Isabella.
Regards Barrie

Hi, Barrie,

I've found some of this for you.

Brothers James and John Mair were the children of George Mair (1767-1836) and Margaret Forsyth (1775-1859) who lived in New Deer, Aberdeenshire when their children were born. The kids were:

• George abt 1799
  • James abt 1802 married Elizabeth Webster
  • John abt 1805
  • William (b abt 1816 d 1899 married Eliza Blackie Martin)
  • Ann abt 1822 who married George Webster 11 Jul 1841 in Rathen, Aberdeenshire. It is unknown if George may have been a younger brother of Elizabeth Webster. George Webster's mother's name was Margaret (b abt. 1775). By the 1841 census, George's father was dead.

James and Elizabeth (nee Webster) Mair remained in Aberdeenshire through at least 1881 when he is listed as 77 years old and she as 75. Living with them in 1881 was their grandson William Cowie b 1875 in Lonmay, Aberdeenshire (son of Ann Mair 1845-1891 and Alexander Cowie).

As you know, most Scottish records are not online so I cannot tell you what happened to Isabella. She was in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, but not in 1861. She may have married or died, but there are no records available online.

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
I hope you are right as there has been no "George or Margaret" in the decendants. This was a common factor in the past to use family names down the line.

Regards Barrie Mair
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst