General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am trying to get a copy of the Marriage Certificate of my

I am trying to...
I am trying to get a copy of the Marriage Certificate of my grandparents, Patrick McAlear and Rose Ann Sammon. I have a copy of Australian Imperial Force (IAF) records that shows Patrick went Absent without leave in early 1917 and further records that he married Rose Ann Sammon, 24 January 1917, at St Lukes Church, Glascow. The Registry Record is No. 35.
My mother was probably born around 17 August 1917 or 1918 as Patrick brought her to Australia when he demobilised in May 1919. He later placed my mother in an orphanage in Perth and she has no record of his consequent life, nor of Rose Ann McAlear (nee Sammon).
As my mother is now about 92-3 I would like the marriage Certificate as a present to her. (And I would then try to search for church or government records to find her date of birth).
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
3/1/2011
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Hello, James,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Can you clear up some geography for me? Where is Glascow? I'm not that familiar with Australian geography and the only city with a similar name that I am familiar with is Glasgow Scotland.

Do you know where Patrick and Rose Ann were born and approximately when - even within a decade helps?

Sorry: Glascow Scotland is correct.

Patrick stated he was born in Kilwinning, Scotland Parish Ayrshire (on the coast, west of Glascow). His DoB is problematic as, on a 1940 army form, he gave Dob as 14 May 1889, but on a 29 Dec 1914 form he said his age was 26 years and five months which would make his DoB about 29 July 1888. (Maybe he was bad at maths?). He named his Father as Thomas McAlear, a railway plate layer.

Patrick's Army records show Rose Ann Sammon was a waitress in Glascow, aged 31 years on 24 Jan 1917, her father James Sammon, Plasterers labourer. Their wedding on 24 Jan 1917 was at St Lukes Catholic Church, Wedding Reg. No. 35. in Hutchesontown District.

Thanks for the clarification. The issue arises because of the spelling. The city in Scotland is Glasgow, not Glascow. It is a charming city and the natives pronounce it GLAZ-go with a short a.

Marriage certificates cannot be obtained online. They can be had by telephoning the registrar with your credit card information to pay the fee, or by mailing your request. Since you know when and where they were married, it should be a quick transaction. Here are the instructions:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/BirthDeathMarriage_Citizenship/Marriage/ObtainingCertificates/

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst