General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Im seeking as much detailed ancestor info as possible for Jacob

Rubin (b:circa Jan 1862) from...
Im seeking as much detailed ancestor info as possible for Jacob Rubin (b:circa Jan 1862) from Russia. Married to Yettie/Etta (Karinsky) Rubin (b:Circa 1861). I heard something about a Karinsky-Rubin book that was written. They had 4 kids Abraham/Abe (1885), Augusta/Gussie (1893), Hymen/Herman (1891) & Jenny/Jenne (1884). I think they were all born in New York.
2/28/2011
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome back to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I haven't been able to find out much about your couple. They were married in Russia and came to this country in 1890 so the two oldest children were born in Russia.

1900 CENSUS - Manhattan, NY, NY

Jacob RUBIN b Jan 1862 Russia Russia Russia

Yetta b May 1861 Russia Russia Russia

Jennie b May 1884 Russia Russia Russia

Abraham b Oct 1885 Russia Russia Russia

Hymen b May 1891 NY Russia Russia

Gussie b Jun 1893 NY Russia Russia

1910 CENSUS - New York, New York, Manhattan Ward 17 Enumeration District 0903

Jacob RUBIN 46 M Russia Russia Russia

Etta 47 F Russia Russia Russia

Abraham 23 M NY Russia Russia (We know he can't have been b in NY).

Herman 19M NY Russia Russia

Augusta 17 F NY Russia Russia

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
<p>Understood. Yes, I had this info from <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.familysearch.org/" target="_blank">http://www.familysearch.org/</a>" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.familysearch.org" target="_blank">www.familysearch.org</a>. I'm having the same problem getting info from the Russian days.....can't get past Ellis Island really. :-(</p><p>I wish I could find more ancestor info on Samuel (Sam) Guner from Austria. They came over about 1887. 1910 Census (earliest I could find) shows them living with their 7 children in Manhattan, NY. 1920 Census under "Sam" Guner shows same family living in the Bronx, NY. I just wish we could dig back further......ellis island even?</p>

Hi again,

I did find them in the 1900 Census where their year of immigration is given as 1886 instead of 1887. That census also provides the month and year of birth and shows a son Isaac (written Isic) that must have died before the 1910 census. It also shows that Bertha/Bessie had two other children who died before 1900. I know the 1910 census says 7 children with 7 living, but since English wasn't their first language, I'm not surprised at the discrepancy.

1900 CENSUS - New York, New York, Manhattan District 759, Enumeration District 29, 1522 1st Avenue

Name

DOB

Age

Yrs married

Kids

Born/

Living

Place of birth (POB)

Father's POB

Mother's POB

Samuel Gunner

Jun 1866

34 M

14 yrs

Head

Austria

Austria

Austria

Bessie

Mar 1868

32 F

14 yrs

7/5

Wife

Austria

Austria

Austria

Benjamin

Jul 1888

11 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Bertha

Jul 1890

9 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

Yetta (Henrietta)

Dec 1892

7F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

Isic [sic]

Jul 1895

4 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Rosie

??? 1898

1 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

1910 CENSUS - New York, New York, Manhattan Ward 12 Enumeration District 0461

East 108th Street

Name

Age

Yrs married

Kids

Born/

Living

Place of birth (POB)

Father's POB

Mother's POB

Samuel Guner

43 M

23 yrs

Head

Austria

Austria

Austria

Bertha

42 F

23 yrs

7/7

Wife

Austria

Austria

Austria

Benjamin

21 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Bessie

19 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

Yetta (Henrietta)

16 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

Isic [sic]

4 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Rose

10 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

Abraham

8 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Louis

6 M

Son

NY

Austria

Austria

Jennie

3 F

Dau

NY

Austria

Austria

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

I just noticed your comment about Ellis Island. That would not apply to them. President Harrison didn't designate Ellis Island as an immigration station until 1890 and the first immigrants weren't processed through it until 1892. Their year of immigration was either 1886 or 1887.

Understood. So where would you suspect they came from? Obviously originally from Austria but is there any access to ship manifests etc...and would we have any clue what country they departed from?

I think you can rely on what each family told the census taker in the 1900 census (i.e. that the Rubins came from Russia in 1890, and the Guners from Austria in 1886 or 1887). There are literally hundreds of ships' manifests from 1885-1890 and you would need to look at every one of them since you don't know the port of departure or entry. They may have traveled overland and left from any number of ports and may have arrived in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.

There is a book of passengers from Russia that you may want to check at your local library with a large genealogy department. Even then you may have to get them to order it for you through interlibrary loan. The title is:

Glazier, Ira A., Migration form the Russian Empire: Lists of Passengers arriving at U. S. Ports.Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company. Volume 5 covers June 1889-July 1890 but there are a number of volumes.

You may also want to consider alternate names. For instance, Szeine for "Jennie."

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst