General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

My dog ate charcoal from a fire pit that has been cool for…

My dog ate burnt wood...
My dog ate burnt wood charcoal from a fire pit that has been cool for several days . he is throwing up the pieces of charcoal in black water. What effect does charcoal have on his system?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2011
PetMail
PetMail, Consultant
Welcome to JustAnswer - I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and here to help!

When did this happen?

-
He ate the chunks last night about 10pm we think and has thrown them up this morning 3 times the most recent about 5 minutes ago. The pieces range in size from very small to the size of a nickel
How much does he weigh?

-
He is a soft coated wheaton terrier about 6 years old and he weighs 50 pounds.
Excellent!

Charcoal such as this is NOT toxic in a sense of organ issues.

It can certainly cause a severe stomach upset and rarely, but possible, an intestinal blockage.

Mostly it is going to cause stomach upset.

To help with these signs of stomach upset, here are severel over the counter options for you:

1) Remove food for 12 hours to allow the stomach to rest

2)

Offer an over the counter antacid:
Either:

Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) - 10mg every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec OTC - 20mg ONCE per day

3) A bland diet of chicken and white rice after the fasting

Please let me know of this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
PetMail
PetMail, Consultant
PetMail
PetMail
PetMail, Consultant