How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 21420
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am visiting from Florida and have lost my drivers license.

Resolved Question:

I am visiting from Florida and have lost my drivers license. What do I do to fly back home with no picture ID.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

If you are in the United States and not abroad, first, you should report the loss of your driver's license with the nearest police station, so there is a record and paper trail of approximately when it was lost.

As far as getting back on the return flight (which is in your favor, by the way--the fact that your picture ID was checked at the time you flew TO your destination), if you can show other ID with your name, like major credit cards (they can verify you purchased the ticket with the credit card you used to book the flights), store credit cards, gas card, voter's registration card, social security card, passport, etc. to prove your identity, they should accept that. Also, if you are traveling with family with the same last name, that is also in your favor.

It is usually up to the individual airline whether to approve you to fly back home with a lost picture ID, but with security tightened normally, and during holiday travel, you might have to have a security interview by an official at the airport. For this reason, you should arrive much earlier than the departure time of your scheduled flight.

Calling the airline and explaining your situation now, will allow you to find out the procedure.

Please read more, here:

Scroll down about halfway to: "If you lose your ID while traveling in the US"

I hope all will work out well for you!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX Holidays,

Edited by Cher on 12/31/2010 at 1:41 AM EST
Cher and 37 other General Specialists are ready to help you