Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

we received a msg this am from Windows Live stating our Hotmail

we received a msg this am from Windows Live stating our Hotmail account would be terminated within 72 hours if we did not verify the following info:
user name, password, date of birth, country
Is this valid or is it a spam?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.

If you use your Hotmail account regularly then there is no need for any kind of email to be sent like this, as your info is verified each time you log in. Second, you'll notice just about any website where a login is required posts a message saying "we will never send you an email requesting your username, password XXXXX any other personal information". Third, email companies rarely terminate accounts unless requested by the user. Accounts that are not logged into for months at a time normally just go inactive and have to be reactivated. In answer to your question, yes, this is spam. The email you received is an example of what's called "phishing". Where an email is sent in order to try and recover personal info from you to be used against you. Do not reply to this email, delete immediately.

If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. If I have been able to answer your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and research. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!