General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I dont really know what category this is or if there is an

I don't really know what...
I don't really know what category this is or if there is an expert that can help me. I am shopping for a piano (used) for my daughter. She is a self taught pianist and will also be taking lessons. I need to know what to look for when getting descriptions. Also what questions to ask.
If the ad says sticky keys or fallen keys is that something that can be fixed with a tuning? What is a hammer head and is that something to be leary about if ad says needs to be replaced.
I know nothing about pianos and really don't want to be taken. Thanks for anyone wo might be able to help. Anything suggested that will help me buy a nice piano is appreciated.
7/15/2010
Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Hi, thanks for your question!

I've been playing piano for 20 years and can certainly help you in this area. The first piano my parents bought for me was a 30 year old upright that was bought for the amazingly low price of $100. It served me well for many years. That said, you won't always find a deal like that. A piano, to most, is like a fine piece of furniture. People normally take care of pianos, so when you're talking to sellers, keep that in mind. Take in the surroundings when you go to a seller's house to see a piano. If it looks like their house is well taken care of, the piano probably is too.

Sticky or fallen keys might be easy to fix. At the same time, they might be difficult and costly to fix too. Depending on the age of the mechanisms and design of the piano, it could end up costing more than it's worth. I would strongly recommend taking someone experienced with you to look at a potential purchase. If you have a piano teacher lined up for your daughter, ask her to come along to make a recommendation (offer to pay for her time, of course). My piano teacher was happy to do this for my family. If you have to make this decision on your own, it would be best to stay away from instruments that have flaws with the action or mechanism. Some tuners can do piano maintenance, but not all. Of course, if the problem is more in depth, it might not be able to be fixed on site once you purchased and moved it.

You mention a "hammer head". A hammer is the part of the internal mechanism that actually strikes the piano strings to make the sound. There is one hammer for each key (88 total). The felt on hammers can wear down and need replacing sometimes. Also, hammers can break if something is dropped inside the piano. Replacing one is normally not a big deal. Make sure you have someone lined up, and a price quoted, to fix one before you buy the piano just to ensure it would be reasonable in the area you live.

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but you may bring her along to "try out" some pianos as well. Let her play a little bit on them and ask her how it feels. If she notices keys that don't work, keep that in mind.

Finally, do your research. Check out the brands and models of pianos you're considering buying online. You won't find too many "lemons" in the piano world. Not all pianos sound as good as a Steinway, but most will serve your daughter's needs quite well as long as they are in playable condition and were taken care of. Inspect the potential buy like you would something else of similar value like a car. Look under the hood and give it a test drive! Please let me know if you have any other questions and good luck to you!

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!

Thank you so much. I am feelingso much better about looking for a piano now. My daughter is almost 13 and I have suggested that she go with me for the piano hunting and 'try' out the pianos that we look at. I appreciate all the suggestions and information about how to look for and purchase a piano!

Diana

No problem, glad I could help! Your daughter is definitely old enough to come along and try out some potential buys with you. Take into account how it feels for her--the keys, the pedals, etc. If you hear "it doesn't sound good", most of that can be fixed by a tuner. After she practices hard for a few years and gets famous then you can buy her that Steinway or Bosendorfer you promised! Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

Tyler
Tyler
Tyler