General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I need to find out if a person that lives with me has left…

Customer Question
I need to find out...
I need to find out if a person that lives with me has left the country. I have a copy of their passport.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: General
6/29/2010
Expert: M.Arch, Researcher, Artist, Architect replied 8 years ago
M.Arch
M.Arch, Researcher, Artist, Architect
Hello and thank you for your question.

While passports are in some cases scanned at airports (assuming that the person left the country via commercial international flight), there is unfortunately no way to obtain this information except by law enforcement in the course of investigating criminal activity.
There is no online database or other source for this information, available to the general public.

If the person that lives with you left the country by car, or by private flight, or any means other than a commercial flight or cruise ship, there will not necessarily be any record of this at all, because passports are not always scanned in conjunction with private flights or water travel, and a passport is not even currently necessary when crossing into Canada or Mexico from the US via car.

If the reasons that you need to know whether the person that lives with you has left the country are in any way related to a custody dispute, an endangered person, or criminal activity then you must contact law enforcement.
If the reasons are personal and unrelated to any law enforcement issue then there is no way to track this person via a passport. Your best bet would be to hire a private investigator to attempt to ascertain the person's whereabouts by tracking the person's interactions with other people, the person's purchases, etc.

I realize that this may not be what you were hoping to hear. Nonetheless I hope this information is helpful and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by M.Arch on 6/29/2010 at 5:19 PM EST