General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

My wife and I purchased a new Seth Thomas Grandfather Clock…

Customer Question
My wife and I purchased...
My wife and I purchased a new Seth Thomas Grandfather Clock in 1989. It has performed beautifully for the past 21 years. But now I believe it needs a drop or two of oil as it is losing a signifiacnt amount of time every day. I'm afraid to do something, like removing the face of the clock to get inside. What should I do to oil the inside movements. Please advise.
Respectfully,
Gene Gibbons
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: General
6/28/2010
Expert: Gina-Moderator, moderator replied 8 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, moderator

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator

Dear Gina

There is some confusion regarding your reply. The question has nothing to do with electronics. The clock is mechanical. I just pull the three chains to keep the clock ticking for a week or ten days. I just want to know how to get inside the face to oil the parts inside. The face has four Phillips head screws and I'm reluctant to remove them for fear that I'll screw up something to remove them. What is the best way to get inside the clock. Do you have any diagrams or instructions about oiling the mechanisms inside the face area?

Thanks for yor interest. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Gene Gibbons

Expert: John Henderson, Consultant replied 8 years ago
John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant

Hello Gene,

Could you please provide the model number and where you purchased the clock. It may not have anything to do with oiling parts. As with most mechanical things, they loosen up with age and may need adjustments. Do you still have the little booklet that came with the clock? DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL I GET BACK TO YOU!

I look forward to helping you...

XXXXX XXXXX

Mr. XXXXX XXXXXon

Thank you for your response to my question. I did find the Owners Manual, and the following information may be helpful:

Model 4372A Cutting 8619

ENG. 4372-001

Mov't A403-031 Finish 525

Handcrafted In New England

We bought the clock at the King of Prussia, PA Mall. It was on display on the main floor as I recall. I don't remember the store which had it on the display.

The manual was published by "Seth Thomas by Talley Industries".

That's all I know. I've checked the local Yellow Pages for clock repair shops, but I'll check the new phone book to see if there might be one nearby. Perhaps you could advise me of a shop in this area. I live now in Mentor, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. Thanks again for your interest, and I'll hold on for a day or two to see if you might have some advice. The clock is still working -- just loses about five minutes a day, so it's no big deal. I was just hoping you could provide some easy, uncomplicated way to keep it from losing time. The little weight on the pendulum helped for a while, but it can't be moved any higher now.

Best regards,

Gene Gibbons

Hi Gene...

(Please correct my name spelling in your next post...thank you XXXXX XXXXX)

Thank you for getting back to me with the information. I noticed in the report box that a refund request was made. If this is an error, I will continue to research for a solution, If not then I will drop out. Please let me know.

I am sorry it took so long to respond, but as you can imagine, there are quite a number of people using JustAnswer lately. If you have friends with be certain to let them know about us. In the meantime, I will await your response before I continue.

XXXXX XXXXX

Edited by John Henderson on 7/1/2010 at 1:56 PM EST

Is this similar to your clock?

If all else failes, here is a list of clock shops in Ohio http://www.grandfatherclocks123.com/clock_repair_ohio.html

REGULATING TIMEKEEPING
Changing the speed of time keeping is accomplished by moving the pendulum disk up or down. The pendulum disk is moved up or down by turning the adjustment nut.
To slow the Grandfather Clock down,
move the pendulum disk down by turning the adjustment nut to the left.
To speed the Grandfather Clock up, move the pendulum disk up by turning the adjustment nut to the right. (See figure 17).

Day One
1. Select a time of day that will allow you to check your Grandfather Clock at the same time for at least six days.
2. Record time selected.
3. Check correct time.
4. Re-set the minute hand to the exact, correct time.

Day Two, Three, Four, Five, Six (If Necessary)
1. Check correct time.
2. Compare time shown on your Grandfather Clock with correct time. Is your Grandfather Clock fast or slow?
3. Turn the adjustment nut on the pendulum one complete
revolution for each half minute fast or slow per day. (24 hours).
4. Check correct time.
5. Re-set the minute hand to exact, correct time.

Edited by John Henderson on 7/1/2010 at 2:51 PM EST