General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I was wondering if you are related to kings and Queens of England…

Customer Question
I was wondering if you...
I was wondering if you are related to kings and Queens of England thru ancestory, and you are a great grandaughter even if it is the 14th or 13th great granddaughter would you be just a commoner or nobility?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: General
6/8/2010
Expert: A. Schuyler, Research Analyst replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You are only nobility if you hold a title granted to yourself (or your father held a hereditary title).

The reason I asked is that thru geneology research my family has discovered we are related to numerous queens/kings of england,not cousins, but direct blood line I am a grandaughter-great,great... but still I was wondering would this make my family nobility or just commoners? My great great great,great grandmother came from england and she was also granddaughter of King of England at the time. There is a family fued going on and I would like to set the record straight..

Royal genealogists have done the descendants of the current and all prior ruling families of Britain and the works are published. If you don't find your family, then you are a commoner. You can check Barnes and Noble or any large library with a genealogy department. Burke's peerage is the gold standard. If you don't find your name there you are a commoner, like the rest of us.

Titles are inherited through the male line and go to males. A wife takes her title from the man she marries. If you are descendant through the female line, you are out of luck.

You might also want to know that the term "nobility" does not refer to being related to a royal family. Most nobility are not related at all, but are either peers (titled) or landed gentry. Here is the ancestry of British monarchs back to William I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_monarchs_family_tree

So if I am a granddaughter of King henry the V11 it would be listed or am I misunderstanding you? thanks for all of your help.
XXXXX XXXXX was my 9th great grandmother. If this helps answer the question any.
Now I am confused since XXXXX XXXXX wasn't a child of Henry VII. Do you mean XXXXX XXXXX (1590-1632) daughter of Lord XXXXX XXXXX and Catherine Knyvet?

I am looking at the genology print out and it has Henry Tudor as my 17th great grandfather, it also has Stewart? listed and then George Home and then several ancestors down it has elizabeth Home and then XXXXX XXXXX and then Anne villers. I hope this helps some. Thanks again for all of your help.

I am afraid I am going to have to sign off for now. I am a NP and have to go back to the hospital to see a patient. I will be happy to opt out and allow someone else to try to answer you, or if you can wait until tomorrow I will see what I can find. Just let me know what you want to do.

I can wait, I have names and dates too of ancestors.
If you could post them that would really help and I will talk to you tomorrow.