Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

This may seem like an odd question, but I am not sure how to

This may seem like an odd question, but I am not sure how to identify myself in formal communications. I have an Associates degree in Arts (AA), however, I am not exactly sure of the proper to identify myself and my degree when signing formal documentations. For example, would it be correct to put:

Charles L. Lamadrid (AA)

or something else?

Perhaps, you can help me out with this one. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX! Charles
Hello Charles, and thanks for your question.

Unless you have a 'title' like 'Dr.' (M.D. or Ph.D) or Esquire (lawyer), you don't need to write any identifying information before or after your name in formal communications. Your signature should suffice.

People don't ordinarily put the title of their educational degree after their name, unless it may be relevant to the type of formal communication. For example, if a teacher with a Masters Degree was asked to evaluate a textbook for future use in a school in a specific subject, like, for example, English, he could sign his name to the report, followed by "M.A. Education/English". Even in that case, it most likely would not be necessary, if his credentials were already known to the people reading the report.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That is very good information to know. First of all, thank you so much for explaining that relevant info that I did not know. I do have one follow-up question and that is:

In the event that I do need to give my credentials where it is pertinent and important to do so, how would I go about communicating that I have an Associates Degree in Arts. Would it be:

Charles L. Lamadrid (AA)

or something else?????

Hello again, Charles, and you're most welcome; thanks for your reply.

Also, thanks for your patience, as I was offline when you posted.

In the event that it is relevant and you need to include your educational credentials after your name, "A.A." can be interpreted as many different things, so I think your best option in that case would be to write "A.A." and follow it with the full written title of your degree "Associates Degree/Arts" in parentheses. You also might leave out the "A.A." and just write out the title of your degree next to, or under your signature, like this:

Charles L. Lamadrid, Associates Degree/Arts

OR

Charles L. Lamadrid,
Associates Degree/Arts

Best wishes,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 5/22/2010 at 6:20 PM EST