General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I Want To Delete A Group, But Lost Admin Rights, How Do I Get

Customer Question
Admin Rights Back?...
I Want To Delete A Group, But Lost Admin Rights, How Do I Get Admin Rights Back?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: General
5/15/2010
Expert: Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician replied 7 years ago
Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Hi, thanks for your question.

If there are NO admins on the group you should be able to rejoin the group and take admin. When there are no admins for a group, any group member can become an admin. Also, if the remaining 8 members leave the group, it will automatically be deleted. If there are any admins for the group currently then you will have to request to become an admin. If for some reason you can't regain admin status by the above methods you could go to the group page and use the report feature to contact fb about it. If there is any kind of inappropriate material on there they should respond by removing it.

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!

Hi, there are no other admins so I did remove myself and rejoin the group, but that did not allow me to regain admin rights. I also know that if everyone leaves the group it will automatically be deleted but that might not happen for awile so wanted to find a soution quicker.

Where is the group page located? Is that he help page b/c I tried that also.

Thanks

If there are no admins and you are a member you, or any other member, should be able to claim the admin spot--unless they've changed things recently. By group page I just meant the group itself--the page of the group. At the bottom left of the page it will say "Report Group". You can use that to report the group to facebook for something that violates their policy. If the group doesn't actually violate policies then you will most likely not get any action. Make sure you plead your case well when reporting it to them.

Okay now I'm following you. I think someone did use "Report Group" to request the group to be removed. If that was done, i.e. the "Report Group" feature was used would that action take admin rights away from everyone where no one could claim them back?

Thanks for your time.

No, the feature only sends up a red flag to the folks at facebook to check out the group and make sure it falls into their policies and terms. If they found it did violate their terms they would completely remove the group rather than strip any sort of rights. This would be done without notice to the creator or any members.
Okay do you know how long it takes them to review a group that was reported i.e. hours or days before taking action? and it the group was found to be within policeis and terms the admin button should pop back up on the right side of the page, right? Its been about 4 hours and it has not re-appeared.
Sorry to bear some bad news but since facebook has grown at such an exponential rate they have almost turned into hermits in regards XXXXX XXXXX service. There is no longer a way to directly contact them besides the reporting features. And when they do get one believe me when I say they take their time getting around to looking at it. Again, just because somebody reported the group doesn't mean any sort of liberties should have been removed, it just sends a report to facebook. So if you aren't seeing a way to become admin now then you likely won't see one in the future. My best advice at this point is to see if you can get one of the other group members to become admin and delete it or just appoint you admin so you can take care of it.

How can I reappoint myself as Admin? It says there are no admins left in this group! and when I click on the members that are in the group and do a search for admins by my name it come back "No Results".

Am I missing something here that's easy to do to appoint myself admin again?

Can you send me a link to the group please so I can look at it?
sure I have to get it off another computer I'm working on. what would you be looking for on the page maybe I can provide you some info?
I'm going to join the group and see what options I have to see if they are any different from what you're seeing.
Hi, are you able to send a link to the group yet?

Thanks for your help, but the answers you provided I had already exhausted prior to asking the question and thought you might have an answer or some option I was not aware of. There is nothing you would be able to do by sending the link, unless you know of something prior to me sending it. Do you know how to get admin rights back after a group is reported? What could you see on the group that I cannot?

Thanks

Again, by you sending me a link to the group I can personally join the group and see if I am able to get admin rights, since you say there are no admins currently. This is also something you could do yourself, if you have or create another facebook profile. Once again, I'm almost certain that reporting a group has absolutely nothing to do with you being an admin. Reporting just tells facebook that someone thinks a group violates their site policies.
What do you mean by creating another facebook profile?
Logout, go to www.facebook.com and create a new profile. Use a different email address. Then go to the group page, join it, and see if your options are different.
A freind of mine joined the group with a different profile and, different e-mail address and she could not regain any admin rights. How would what your seggesting be different, maybe I'm missing something here? thanks
I just double checked the facebook help center to make sure of what I was saying. The "Become Admin" button should appear on the right side of the group page, so make sure you've thoroughly checked the page for it. Facebook says that some time may elapse between when the last admin left and when the "become admin" button may appear. They suggest that if you rejoined the group recently you'll need to check back from time to time to see if the admin option has been added. They don't say how long this can take.
Yes, I read that also and 36 hours have passed and the admin button has still not popped up so that's what's so frustrating.
Facebook is not real reliable these days regarding things that users can't personally control. Keep checking back each day, hopefully it will appear soon.

Okay here's the link to the group. Let me know if you can get admin rights and if you do please delete the group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122447837774064&ref=ts

Thanks

Yeah I didn't see the option to become an admin either, and I checked up and down. Sorry to say, but you're just going to have to wait for that option to reappear, or else report it and hope it gets shut down sooner. Sorry there's nothing more I can do, but it's up to facebook now. Best of luck!
Tyler
Tyler
Tyler