General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

how can I get the orchestration for the David Foster piece,

Customer Question
how can I get the...
how can I get the orchestration for the XXXXX XXXXX piece, "Piano Concerto in G" ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: General
5/6/2010
Expert: Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician replied 7 years ago
Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Are you just trying to find out the instrumentation for this piece or are you wanting a copy of the score?
I need to know if an orchestral score is available. One of my piano students is entering a sympony-sponsored concerto contest, next Fall. We both adore the XXXXX XXXXX's Concerto in G, and think it would knock the judges' socks off. But I have to get permission to enter something that is not, you know, part of the classical literature. So before I go to plead my case, I wanted to be sure the orchestration can be purchased, and that there is a reduced score for me to play as my student plays the piano part.
Are you talking about XXXXX XXXXX, the Canadian pop producer/composer?
The very one. BabyFace Foster. Josh Groban's mentor.
Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I figured.

I have been unsuccessful in locating absolutely anything for this concerto besides audio recordings. From what I can find about him and his music, most of his orchestrated music is written for movie scores. That being the case, they would normally not be published. Composers like this make money not by offering their music to the masses in published form, but by selling to a studio for a film or tv project. That said, I'm sure a score exists somewhere. Your best bet would be to contact Atlantic Records (the label that this piece appears on) and see if there might be some way to buy a score. Often, however, once rights to a score are sold to a studio they couldn't legally be purchased by an individual for perusal or performance. The other thing you're looking for, a piano reduction of orchestral parts, I can say with almost complete certainty, does not exist. These reductions are sometimes written by the composers of the works, but are more commonly arranged years later by someone else. Reductions appear out of necessity for those who play them, so you'll find orchestral reductions for more common pieces but few for less common pieces. As far as entering this kind of a piece in a concerto contest--remember that we musicians can be somewhat stuffy and think rather highly of ourselves. :) You and your student might have much better luck sticking to something a bit more standard. I know an awful lot of classical musicians who think this kind of movie music is "garbage". Just a word of advice from somebody who's been there! Best of luck with the competition and I hope you all find a piece that suits you!

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!

Tyler
Tyler
Tyler