General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I have a beautiful platinum ring filled with stunning certified

Customer Question
diamonds. It was just appraised...
I have a beautiful platinum ring filled with stunning certified diamonds. It was just appraised for insurance purposes at $16,000. Is there a way to trade this ring straight out for two new rings, one for a bride, one for a groom? I'm thinking there is some jeweler out there who would take this for a trade of either two already crafted rings or craft something new, using the value of this ring to pay for the materials and craftsmanship? I know often they will use the same diamonds, but need advice on who would do this and what to expect. Thank you!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: General
4/21/2010
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 7 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello again, and welcome back to JustAnswer.

Your best course of action would be to bring this ring to a jeweler in your area who may specialize in handmade designs, if you prefer to have your bride's and groom's new rings uniquely designed and not choose something already made. Only a jeweler who can examine the ring you wish to trade in, in person, in order to exchange it for the two new rings, will be able to give you a price s/he would value it at, and explain more about what you might be able to choose, from an existing collection, or have handcrafted for the bride's and groom's rings. Also, please keep in mind that the insurance appraisal value is much higher than what a jeweler would actually give you for the ring.

You'll need to decide, after the jeweler (and you can comparison shop, in several jewelry stores) tells you how much you have to spend, based upon what they'll give you for the ring, whether you want to basically 'trade' it for the two new rings, or if you would like to use some of the diamonds and/or platinum from the original ring in the new ones. That decision will affect the price and/or negotiations.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

I wish you much good luck!

Cher

Edited by Cher on 4/21/2010 at 3:07 AM EST
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs