How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lori Your Own Question
Lori, Research Analyst
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 4131
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
Type Your Question Here...
Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex boyfriend who has been living in my house for

This answer was rated:

I have an ex boyfriend who has been living in my house for 11 years. I have asked him
several times to leave over the years. He gives me answers like: When I'm good and ready to, at the end of the year, I'll burn this house down before I leave. How can I get
him out of my house.

Are you also living in the home, or do you have another residence you are currently occupying?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am also living in the home.

You definitely need to get a lawyer involved. You need to present him with eviction papers and I would get anything that is of value out of the house and put into storage or with family for the time being....if you could also move out temporarily and stay with family or a friend until the eviction process is complete, that would probably be a good idea also. I would also strongly advise a restraining order to keep him away from you and make sure you have your insurance up to date on the house.


He sounds like a real piece of work, and I would let the police and your lawyer know that he has threatened to destroy your home if you try to get him out. You need to have the police let HIM know that they are aware of his threats and if anything happens, he will be charged. Ultimately, getting a legal eviction going is probably your best best right now along with keeping him away from you. I empathize, as I'm certain you are scared and confused. If finances are an issue, visit your local legal aid office. They can help you also.


Please let me know if I can help further in any way.

Lori and 47 other General Specialists are ready to help you