How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lori Your Own Question
Lori, Research Analyst
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 4131
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
Type Your Question Here...
Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother (age 86) is a WWII Veteran. During his time in

This answer was rated:

My brother (age 86) is a WWII Veteran. During his time in the Navy he bought War Bonds. He sent them to my mother to keep for him. He cashed 2 of them ($50) each. The remainder were accidently burned. My mother was destroying other paperwork (no shredder at that time), and she picked up the bonds along with other paperwork she wanted to destroy. The error was caught, but only a corner of the bonds was unburned - it contained no identification info. My brother knew of this mistake, but caring for his wife with alzheimer for 28 years caused him to set the matter aside. His wife is now deceased and he has asked me to pursue the matter for him. Would you please direct me to whomever I need to contact in order to see if he can get replacements for those bonds? He has many medical expenses for his wife and he could really use the value of those bonds! Thank you for whatever you can to do to help me with this matter.

There are a couple of places that may prove to be helpful in this matter: - they deal with lost/missing bonds of all types-you'll pay a fee for them to research, however.


I would also check out this link - - as they may be the best way to retrieve the bonds' value and possibly the numbers of the bonds. - this is the US Government's treasury site and this link has forms for all types of missing bonds here you can fill out yourself. You can also contact them for more detailed information. - they would be the agency that actually reissues the bonds for your brother.


I was able to find a phone number for a Bonds expert in the Treasury department. I'm unsure how current the information is, but, it's a place to go.(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You can also write to them at:

Definitives Section
Bureau of the Public Debt
P.O. Box 426
Parkersburg, WVNNN-NN-NNNN


The VA *might* be able to tell you the numbers on any certificates or
bonds issued to your brother if he doesn't have them somewhere. Since these are older records, they may not be able to help, but I'm sure they will try their best. Again, I dug up an email address to use. Not sure it's the current one, but it's worth a try.

The email contact for the right person at the VA is:
[email protected]

however, if that email bounces, you might just go to the VA website above, and contact a general email address and go from there.


You definitely have your work cut out for you, could definitely pay off for your brother if you are successful.


Please let me know if I can help further.

Lori and 34 other General Specialists are ready to help you