Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

my child is 12 years old he is in the 7th grade he was exspelled

my child is 12 years old he is in the 7th grade he was exspelled from chicago public schools I was told possibly for a year what is the first step for me to take on getting him into another school what is available for me
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello sheila, and thanks for your question.

If your son was expelled from the Chicago Public School system, you have several options. Expelled students, depending upon the offense and length of time of the expulsion, are usually recommended to be placed in an alternative 'SAFE' school which has smaller classes and usually no extra-curricular activities. This is from the following site:
http://www.illinoisprobono.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_Content&contentID=4180

"Students can be expelled in Chicago for Group Five or Group Six acts of misconduct. Group Six offenses include the use, possession, and/or concealment of a firearm/destructive device or other weapon; arson or bomb threat; robbery; use, possession, sale or delivery of alcohol, Illegal drugs, narcotics, controlled substances, or contraband; sex violations; aggravated battery; murder; attempted murder; and kidnapping. If expelled, students usually are recommended for placement at an alternative SAFE school which generally has smaller classes than the regular schools and virtually no extra curricular activities. A student expelled for a Group Six offense will be expelled for a period of not less than one calendar year, or as modified on a case by-case review by the Chief Executive Officer or designee. Two years is the maximum expulsion period. First time offenders of Group Five or Six acts of misconduct which do not involve violence or the sale or delivery of illegal substances may be recommended by the hearing officer to the SMART program in lieu of expulsion. The SMART program consists of eight Saturday morning sessions to provide students with character building and conflict resolution skills as well as prevention and support services for alcohol or drug related problems. It also includes a 20 hour community service requirement and the attendance of the foster parent at two of the eight sessions. If the student falls to attend any of the SMART classes, he or she will be expelled and transferred to an alternative SAFE school, usually for the duration of the school term."

You can search for a private 'alternative' school for your son, or a regular private school in your area, but if he has been expelled for any illegal acts as described in the excerpt above, a traditional private school may deny him admittance.

You can find out more about the 'Alternative Schools Network', in Chicago, here:
http://www.asnchicago.org/

You can homeschool him, which would involve you obtaining instructional materials on his grade level from the Homeschool Department of the Illinois Department of Education, and you'd need to attend a course or meet with an advisor to learn how the homeschooling method works. If you work full or part time and your son would be home alone at the times you work and not get a full day of homeschooling, this is not a good option for you.

If you haven't yet, it would be a good idea to discuss your son's options for education during his expulsion/suspension at this time, with his school Guidance Counselor and/or Principal. Also, contact your Regional School District Office (get the phone number from your son's school) to ask how he is to continue his education in an expulsion situation.

I wish you and your son much good luck and hope all works out well.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher