TaxTom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
21049508
Type Your Question Here...

I have copyrighted a new advertising promotional product. Someone

I have copyrighted a new advertising promotional product. Someone wants to use my idea for his own profit. How do I calculate the fee?
Hello, the fairest way would be a percentage of sales of the product. A deposit against future sales is reasonable. The percentage would be based on how unique an item is, a percentage could run as low as 5 percent to as high as 20 percent. Keep in mind not to price it so high that the product becomes overpriced. You could even allow a smaller percentage on the first level of sales in order to get the product a good start in the market place. The only downfall in the percentage method is that you need a method of accounting for sales. The other method would be to charge a flat rate for each item manufactured, this varied considerable by the value the item sales for. So for a $100.00 item at retail you would collect a royalty of $5 to $10 per item manufactured. This way you would get paid no matter how well the sales force does. Again an up front payment or a minimum payment should be included in the contract. Also in the contract include a clause that lets you sell the product to another vendor if they do not bring the product to market within a given time period. Usually a year would a reasonable period for the vendor to bring the product to market. You also would negotiate a time limit that the contract would be in effect and maybe even a renewal clause. Thank You Tom Please click accept.