Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

I am finally going to apply for citizenship. I am 30 years

I am finally going to apply for citizenship. I am 30 years old, have been married to my wife for over 5 years, who is an american citizen. I was issued a permanent resident card in 1987 when I was 7 years old, which has no expiration date. However, my social security card has one incorrect letter in my last name. My question is, do I have to correct the one incorrect letter in my social security card before I can apply for citizenship? Will this have any effect at my current employer? Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Having dealt with I&N ourselves for years (my husband is also a permanent resident), I can tell you if all of the spellings on ALL of the documentation (ie; your green card, birth certificate, SS card, drivers license) don't match, you will have to get them corrected or explain why the spellings are different.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and go ahead and get your documentation fixed. It will save you potential problems in so many ways, not just with your citizenship, but with the IRS and other agencies you may have to deal with down the road.

It may not actually hold up your citizenship, but if they catch and question it, it could set you back months on actually getting the process completed.

Please let me know if I can help further.