How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Your Own Question
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 6144
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...
Tyler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am in london, UK studying Media at university only im

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am in london, UK studying Media at university only i'm finding the course really difficult but i've tried talking to my parents about dropping out but they won't listen. do you know what the process is of dropping out of uni? as i have a shared house here as well so will i still have to pay for that?

please reply
many thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 7 years ago.
Hello Louise,

Thanks for your question. The process for dropping out of a College or University can vary from school to school. There are several things to consider, several loose ends to tie up.

1. Contact the school or division of the University that you are a part of. There is normally an advisor or director of each school. Contact that office and let them know of your intentions. They will be able to tell you what you need to formally do on that end.

2. Contact the office of the registrar. This office is where they handle student records which most likely includes the scheduling of your classes. Let them know you wish to leave. Depending on when your classes started will depend on how you can leave them. For example, you may be given options to simply withdraw as if you never began the class, or to withdraw passing or failing depending on your grade. There may also be other options they can tell you about. This is important because it will affect your academic records which will travel with you should you decide to study elsewhere.

3. If you are a graduate or specialized student you will need to contact that specific school. For example, most Universities have a Graduate School that keeps up with the students as well as whatever division within the University that the student attends.

4. You will also need to contact Financial Aid. If you are receiving any scholarships, grants or free monies you will have to speak with them about what to do. If you have taken out loans and do not continue school, you may be required to pay the loan back in full. Make sure you find out all of your options from them before making any changes to your school status.

5. If you have a personal academic advisor that you see each semester, he or she might be a good place to start. They are there to help you and provide answers. They can let you know exactly who you might need to contact in addition to the ones I've listed.

6. You mention a shared house--I'm not sure if you mean one provided by the University, or one you pay for separately. If with the University, most schools will not allow people to live there if they are not attending school. You would need to talk to the housing department in regards XXXXX XXXXX If you have a lease separate from the school then you would have to abide by those terms. Either way, talk to whomever is in charge of your housing and let them know of your plans. See if they can work with you to lessen your financial burden.

Thanks again for your question. If my answer has been helpful, please click "Accept". I would appreciate if you would take an extra minute to leave positive feedback, as it lets others know they can get quality answers from me. If you have further questions or need clarification, please press "Reply" so I can continue to work with you until this issue is resolved. Best wishes!

Tyler and 19 other General Specialists are ready to help you