General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am 56 years old with student loans. I also am handicapped

and receiving social security disability...
I am 56 years old with student loans. I also am handicapped and receiving social security disability. I need help to find legitimate grants to help pay for the student loans I have now, and a grant to continue my education. I have an associates degree but want to get another degree. I need more income. I am a black woman who would love to be free from these student loans, finish college, and maybe open a small business to insure a good retirement. Hope you can help
Answered in 1 day by:
2/4/2010
John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant

Hi Customer...Tell me a bit about these student loans. That is one issue. Have you talked to a State Rehab counselor? They can sometimes intervene in these issues.

The Second issue is the small business. What kind of business are you looking at. I remember the Mongolian BBQ. Also has your son found a job? I see that you are now in NC and that was a possible university job he was interested back in 10/2007.

Do you remember this...

"Sent to Job Experts 10/24/2007 at 1:59 PM

My son is looking for a professional admistrative position at a us colleges. Someting in the line of director of student unions. He is currenty assistant vice chancellor of student affairs. 3 years in this position."

Edited by Customer on 10/24/2007 at 10:10 PM

Customer (Offline) -- 4 Accepts / 4 Answered Questions (1 Open)
Status: Closed Value: $14 Source: Web

By the way, what were the college courses you took? Did you ever get that second degree you hoped for.

I look forward to helping you...

John Henderson

I have 2 student loans. One with direct loans and the other with sallie mae. I have requested to combine the 2 as of yesterday. I really hate I got the diploma on the first one from direct loans, because the day I got my certificate from Computer Learning Centers, INC.they closed their doors and was no where to be found a month after I completed their computer course. I could not transfer any of the credits from their school and no one would except their credentials when I tried using the diploma to look for work. I feel it was just a 10,000.00 ripoff. The second loan is from sallie mae, I just completed my associates degree with colorado tech. I am starting back next month to complete my B.A. Yes I have talked with the state rehab counselor, nothing is happening in the positive with them. I am looking for a business that I can run from my home. I am handicapped. My son is still in the same position here in NC. I am also on disability, and was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me a grant to help pay my student loans. I also looked into doing trash outs here in NC, but don't know how to break down the door to get in, it seems one company has a monopoly on the business of cleaning out the foreclosed houses. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me. Also, if you have anymore job opportunities for my son let me know.
I was asked for more information, but did not get any answers. What is going on with that? I am willing to raise the amount, and give a bonus for the right answers.

Hi geri...

Sorry for the delay, but I am disabled as well as my wife and I work from my home. I build web sites and I also do conflict resolution between local businesses and their employers and/or their clients. It is a form of paid arbitration. I also do new business start up consultation and provide services to start companies like designing letterheads, business cards and brochures as well as media representation for advertising. I provide outsourced resources for companies not large enough to hire in-house specialists and I provide a marriage of sorts between skilled office teams and those companies.

I am telling you this to provide you with ideas for your own in-home business ideas. Here it is: Sit down with yourself - Take a personal inventory of sorts and list ALL of your skills - Place no limits on the list - Include everything from accounting skills to xylophone tuning!!!

- Do you get my drift? Somebody somewhere in your community needs one or more of your skills and they are willing to pay for them.

You alone know your skill set. After you have compiled a good sized list (from 7 - 15 or so skills) go back and assign a priority to them with your most accomplished skills on top etc. Secondly - grab your latest phone book and go to work. SELL YOURSELF!!!

Example: Perhaps your skill set includes customer letter writing skills. Find a real Estate company. Put together a dummy letter asking a new couple how they are settling in to their new home and set up a time at their convenience to come by and chat as a courtesy call. If you know a vet, dentist or chiropractor - they may be open to the same ideas. I know - a lot of professionals do send out cards to clients like "It's time to have your cat/dog waxed" (ha ha) or whatever. But it is your job to convince them that a personally handwritten letter is more... You could write a generic letter using a script font and mass produce them. These are just ideas.

Here are some links that may help. Watch the video from ABC. It is exciting...

http://ourmilkmoney.com/home

Here is a video link from from abc7.com:
Work-at-home parents become a growing trend
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=7256662

As for your student loans, Are they breathing down your neck for payment now? If the company you can not contact is out of business, perhaps they can wait. You need to focus on finding your niche and the pressure to repay may hinder you with unnecessary stress. If there is no pressure, put that on the back burner for a while.

I hope this helps.

XXXXX XXXXX

Edited by John Henderson on 2/9/2010 at 3:34 PM EST
John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant
Not quite the answers I was looking for, but you did give me another idea to help keep me busy. I was really looking for someone I could make a legitimate complaint to about owing the student loan to the government for a program that did not complete the tasks promised to me when I signed up for the loan, and then went out of business nowhere to be found. By the way I am still interested in universities and colleges hiring for assistant vice chancellor positions or something similar. I am going to be working with vocational rehabilitation soon, so maybe something good will come from that. I wish you and your family well.

You may have legal recourse if it was a gov supported school. Post another question to the legal dept and you should get a decent answer in due time...

Good luck...

XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you I will try a lawyer for legal recourse against the school through one of your lawyers. also, when I wrote to you about my son seeking a better positon he was already working as assistant vice chanellor at a university in NC. I move here when his wife did of cancer almost 3 years ago. He wanted to leave NC and go to a better job and leave the home his wife died in for his childrens sake. He has a interview, but it is still in this state. Tell me what I can send you to help him find a better paying position in another state. I am working on my second degree now. I will pay for your help.
Your answer to me was very positive. I must have clicked the wrong button I will need your expertise again, and I do not want to lose you as a person to go to for answers. Again the answer was not what I wanted to hear, but you gave very good information to pursue other avenues. Again I thank you and look forward to working with you in the future.

Thank youCustomer..

Feel free to put my name in the post as, "I am requesting XXXXX XXXXX to help with this question" or "This is for XXXXX XXXXX"

My wife and I are both disabled and have been for most of our married life of 29 yrs this coming April so I have a large compassion for people who are taking the attitude of, "I might be disabled, but I refuse to give up."

Your kind words have inspired my to continue for at least another day. Thank you so much.

XXXXX XXXXX

John Henderson
John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant