How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 21333
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please can you advise me, im an English guy living in Scotland

Resolved Question:

Please can you advise me, im an English guy living in Scotland at the moment ,but seriously would like to move to America {fort lauderdale} i have my own flat here {no mortgage} but no job at the moment either, but would like to find a job there as a singer on the florida keys, im 53 years of age,is it feasable for me to move there permanently,buy an appartment and hopefully find a job singing?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi Peter, and thanks for your question.

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area, and it's a nice place to be. The Florida Keys are not so close to the Ft. Lauderdale area, as they are South, below Miami. The 'first' Key is right below Miami Beach, but the 'last' Key is Key West (the Southernmost point in the U.S.), where you might have more luck finding employment as a singer/entertainer. However, nowadays, with the economy not being in the best shape, unemployment is on the rise, especially in your profession. If you were to consider looking for a job in a different area of employment, you might be more successful, and then you could find a gig as a singer as a part time job.

The good things I have found about living in South Florida (I've been here 21 years--was a native New Yorker) are: nice (warm) weather when the rest of the country (and most of the world) are experiencing harsh winters; everything is always green, due to the tropical climate, real estate is lower in cost than many other American cities. In the particular place I live, I have the advantages of the conveniences of 'city' living, but the 'atmosphere/surroundings' of country living, and I like that.

The disadvantages or downside of living in South Florida are: high heat and humidity for at least 6-8 months of the year, 6 months of 'hurricane/rainy season'. This past year, we didn't have one hurricane or even a tropical storm, hit South Florida, and we were very lucky, but in 2005 (the year of hurricane 'Katrina' which devastated New Orleans), we had many storms, one of which directly hit our area and caused severe damage and power outages for an extended period of time. If you live in a place like the Keys, you are on the 'coast' and more prone to damage when a bad storm hits; also, there is only one road leading to and from the Keys, and if there is severe weather that road is usually closed, after evacuation to the 'mainland' is advised. One good thing about hurricanes is that you get advance notice and can make preparations.

If you currently have no mortgage and own your flat, when you sell it, you would be coming here, if you should decide to to this, with money to buy another apartment or even a house, so that's on the plus side.

I would suggest this: go to various sites to see what kind of real estate is available for purchase, check out the surrounding areas, look at the classifieds for employment available, and you can do this through the local newspapers (links below) and other online sites. Check out the weather reports/forecasts for days/weeks at a time, and see if this might be a place you'd be happy to live. (click 'Florida Keys' and 'South Florida')

I hope this was helpful to you.

Cher and 18 other General Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Cher, thankyou ,you were really helpful, id always fancied America since holidaying 12years ago in New York, boston and florida.Uve answered alot of my questions ,id be interested to know if i could get an apartment in New York for say £400,000 that is comfortable ,i could prob manage as i have done for the last 3.5 years with part time work singing ,but what would be the first thing i need to do ,is it def that i would be allowed to live in New York? do i need any special papers ,to be allowed into America to live apart from a passport to fly there,and would you advise me spending a couple of weeks in New York looking at apartments to buy....Manhatten was the area i once stayed in and liked


Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Peter, and you're most welcome. Thanks for your accept and I'm glad I could be of help.

I'm pretty sure all you will need is a passport to enter NY (USA), as a 'visitor', but if you are going to work there, you will most likely need a work visa. I'll research it further for you, but if you're going to work in another country, you usually need a work visa which is only good for a specific period of time.

Manhattan is very expensive, especially to buy an apartment in a nice area. If the pound is worth about $1.6 American dollars, your 400,000 pounds would be worth about $640,000.
I'm sure there is something to be had for that price, but many people who work in Manhattan live in another 'borough', just a comparatively short subway (metro) ride away.

I do think it would be a good idea for you to spend a couple of weeks in NY, getting a feel for the real estate market, specific areas you might like, and checking out possible employment. I think your chances of getting a singing job in NY are better than getting one in South Florida! : ) I was thinking of you this afternoon, as we are experiencing severe weather, and are under a 'tornado warning'.......not very typical for this time of year, but we had a stormy day yesterday and we're having another one, today.

I'll get back to you re: the entry requirements, and you can also check on your own, by just calling the nearest American Consulate or Embassy in your area.

Cher and 18 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions