How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 34280
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a signed one year lease in Michigan be broken if the tenant

This answer was rated:

Can a signed one year lease in Michigan be broken if the tenant wishes to move out 6 months early because of the purchase of a house? Is there any way to do this with minimal penalty or payment short of paying for the remaining 6 months of rent? Thank you.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Unfortunately, if you are in a lease, you will need to negotiate with the landlord to release you from this lease. The law in MI (or in any state) will not provide a legal defense to a breach of contract suit for the purchase of a new home. If you signed a year lease, your on the hook for a year.

That said, you have a few options, including subletting the place, or, as I said, negotiating with the landlord. Offer them a "buyout"...some amount your comfortable with to allow you to terminate the lease without further penalty.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
P. Simmons and 51 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions