How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
Type Your Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fianc e ended our engagement and I was wondering if I am

Resolved Question:

My fiancée ended our engagement and I was wondering if I am entitled to get the engagement ring back.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
Hello William and welcome to JustAnswer.

As I write this, your optional and already tried information has not yet appeared, so I apologize if this does not take into consideration information you provided there.

A specific answer depends on what state you are in, but in general and in most states if the woman breaks the engagement, the man is entitled to have the engagement ring back. Although typically characterized as a gift, the giving of an engagement ring is also considered, in most states, to be a "conditional" gift; that is, a gift dependent upon the fulfillment of the engagement by marriage.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Jim Reilly and 41 other General Specialists are ready to help you