Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

I am interested in genealogy and ancestry and am researching

Customer Question

I am interested in genealogy and ancestry and am researching my family tree. My dad is from Ireland and my mum is from England. Is it true that the vast majority of people have more than one race in them e.g. that a white person will have black, asian or hispanic ancestors if their family tree was researched back 1000 years? I understand that with migration, people may have more than one nationality in them genetically. However, what perecentage of e.g. British people will have more than one race in them genetically if their ancestry dating back 1000 years was taken into account? I am white but my dad has dark eyes and hair and a darker skin tone and we don't know where this originates from. He could possibly have black or hispanic ancestors and I find the whole subject interesting. Can you please confirm what percentage of e.g. British people will have more than one race i.e. white, black, asian or hispanic in them genetically if their ancestry over the last 1000 years is assessed?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

The percentage is 100%. It may seem a bold statement but because of just some event of the past, it's a statistical certitude.

All this because of war and commerce. This involved lot of rape and slave market. Here is just some of those event.

- Phoenician trading around the Mediterranean
- Viking raid in the north down very deep in the south of Europe (and even north America).
- Roman empire connecting all north of Africa up to the Hadrian's Wall in the north of England.
- Mauritanian invasion of Spain
- Spain invasion of south America
- Link between Korea and Finland
- France and "the new world"
- The silk road that reached to far east of China

You then would think, but it must be possible that some group always kept isolated. But on a 1000 year period, the genetic disease from inbreeding would have wiped them off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Martin

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate that people will have more than one nationality in their ancestry, going back 1000 years. However, just to confirm, do you mean that all white British people will also have black, asian or hispanic genes in them if their DNA was traced back 1000 years?

Thanks

Leonie

Expert:  Martin replied 8 years ago.
Yes, over 1000 year it's pretty much a sure thing.

It does not mean the genetic trait will be activated or very visible. For example, for eye color, both the father and mother need to be carrier of a gene.

What might differ is the amount of genetic dilution, some place might have more of "black", other more of "asian". But pure "race" is impossible over 1000 year. For example the more clean i could think is royalty, and those were often mixed with peace/alliance wedding from different kingdom that were at one point or another invaded from another "race".