How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Type Your Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In my Divirce agreemnet ( agreed on in 1994) I am supposed

Resolved Question:

In my Divirce agreemnet ( agreed on in 1994) I am supposed to pay 1000$ child support and 75% of tuition for our Son.
in 2005 We agreed verbaly to reduce it to 500$ & 50%, and since then I have been paying that amount without one day delay.

Last week my exwife demanding to go back to 1000$ and 75%, my son now is 19, but our divorce agreemnet require I provide child support till he is 23 years old.

Can I refuse to pay and stick to thr 500$ and 50%?
Please adevise
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


Unfortunately, the courts are not bound to the agreement you had outside of court regarding child support. They can order that you revert to the original order AND pay back the entire arrearage which would be based on the 1994 agreement regardless of what your ex wife agreed to.


Knowing that, you should consider whether you want to risk being taken back to court if you refuse to pay the $1000 / 75%.



Lady Themis and 44 other General Specialists are ready to help you