How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
Type Your Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found my 4 month pup with his eye seemingly coming out, it

This answer was rated:

I found my 4 month pup with his eye seemingly coming out, it was covered by a bulging mass that looked like blood filled tissue. The entire eye area is swollen and unable to close. He was in his crate with only his food dish, so Im not sure what happened. I rushed him to Banfield and the vet didnt tell me much but that he couldnt help I had to go to an emergancy clinic. He gave me the number and told me to tell them it was a ruptured globe. I called and they asked if I wanted to save the eye or remove it. At this point i realized this was going to be major and became concern if I would even have that kind of money. I told her I just wanted to do the basic to help my pup and she replied that would be the eye removal which is between $700 to $1000!!!!! I informed I cant afford it, she suggested to apply for care credit, which I know I wouldnt be approved for. What else can i do? What will happen if left untreated? I dont want to but should I surrender him to animal control?
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

I am so sorry to hear about your pup's problem and the fact that you apparently cannot afford the kind of treatment necessary to help him. I am a lifetime dog owner and, at the moment, have four in my home (my own, plus three visiting dogs who I'm watching for my adult children while they are on vacation).

This is a very sad & difficult situation for which there really is no good answer. You simply cannot leave this condition untreated, as that would not be fair to your dog and could lead to even more serious health consequences.

In my opinion, the best course of action would be for you to take the dog to the local humane society. Explain to them that you simply cannot afford to have the dog treated and let them take him in and treat him. This will probably mean that you will have to surrender all rights to him, which will be emotionally difficult, but would be best for the dog.

Perhaps there would even be a way that you could adopt him back after the humane society treats him. You can at least inquire about that when you take him in.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer and good luck dealing with this very difficult situation. If you have any other questions about it, please let me know.
Jim Reilly and 15 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions