The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience:  Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier
2837397
Type Your Question Here...

NEED ASAP!! CAN YOU PLEASE REPLY TO THE STUDENT WHO REPLIED ...

NEED ASAP!! CAN YOU PLEASE REPLY TO THE STUDENT WHO REPLIED TO MY ORIG POST. MINIMUM 25 WORDS

THANK YOU

ORIG QUESTION WAS...

Do you think the unemployment rate measures what we need it to measure?

MY REPLY TO ORIG QUESTION WAS...

No, I do not think the unemployment rate truly captures the full level of unemployment. The questions asked by the Bureau of Labor to determine the unemployment rate are merely are you working or not and are you actively seeking work. There are other questions, which must be asked in order to truly determine the unemployment rate. Questions such as (1) Have you accepted a part-time position because you cannot find one full-time? (2) Are you employed in the industry in which you wish to work in? If not, then why not? (3) Are you discouraged from finding work because you were too "old" or could not find a job for your skills?

By not counting the people who are not actively searching for work at all, the Bureau of Labor under represents the unemployment rate. An inability to find work, which causes depression or a person to give up, does not mean that they are not, unemployed - it means they are indicative of a large unemployment problem.

STUDENT REPLY TO MY POST WAS...

In my forum post I stated that I did agree that the unemployment rate is measured correctly. I do agree with your point on accepting part-time employment due to the inability to find full-time employment. The truth is that they are employed and not unemployed. The part-time employee can still continue to look for full-time employment or even another part-time position while being employed part-time. Therefore, this is the reason I feel the unemployment rate is measured correctly.
Sorry to disagree. The unemployment numbers as presently reported by our government, just like the "inflation" numbers, are totally fictitious.

Folks who have exhausted their unemployment benefits are not included in the unemployment numbers.

Folks who are on welfare are not included.

Folks who are no longer looking for work because they GAVE UP looking are no longer included.

Laid-off assembly line and other "rust belt" workers who can't make their house payments any more are counted as "employed" even if their jobs are now private security, burger flipper, or Home Depot attendant.

Illegal immigrants and undocumented workers aren't included, and neither are the guys standing on street corners hoping for honest labor in the trades.

All economic statistics are "managed" by Federal agencies to make the administration (this one as well as the prior one under Clinton) "look good".

What you are being told in college and what is really happening out there are two entirely different things. If your professor values critical thinking then the foregoing facts might make a "different" (i.e., realistic) response.