General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

How do I shave a softball bat with a lathe?

Customer Question
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: General
5/23/2007
Expert: Tracy, Internet Researcher replied 10 years ago
Tracy
Tracy, Internet Researcher

HiCustomer

It takes a lot of work to shave a softball bat with a lathe. You can view the details at the link below.

Shave a Baseball bat with a lathe

This has nothing to do with what I am talking about! I am asking how to shave the inside of a new softball bat. In other terms called "juicing" the bat.

You weren't specific on the first post, so I answered the question you asked. Thank you for clarifying and being more specific now...

I am unable to find instructions on how to shave the inside of a softball bat or "juice" the bat. I will opt out of this question and give another expert the chance to find what you're looking for.

When do I get that back?
Nobody is answering my question?
Expert: Big Dave, Consultant replied 10 years ago
Big Dave
Big Dave, Consultant

HiCustomer-

"Bat doctors may also use a lathe to shave the inside of a bat's barrel to make it springier, in effect giving the ball an extra boost on contact. "

"Disappointed with the performance of a new $500 bat, he hit the garage, removed the bat's end cap and examined its innards. "I'm a very diagnostic individual," he says. He had the barrel shaved down at a machine shop, and discovered it hit balls farther than an unmodified bat did"

(http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=50382&mode=threaded)

This website suggests another way you can shave the bat:
(http://www.bostonbaseball.com/whitesox/baseball_extras/physics.html )

" A lighter bat is easier to swing, especially a bat that's been lightened on the business end. But as we like to say in physics class, "it turns out that" one could get the very same very bearable lightness of bat by choking up about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters). Or, if you want to get tricky, just shave 0.1 inches off (3 box tops wrapped on the bat's worth) the diameter of a regular bat. This loss of diameter may be a problem for those who want to get out by hitting pop-ups. For the rest of us, it's the way to go, especially when it's time to sign your major-league bat maker's contract."

If that's not enough info, your best bet may be to purchase this ebook for $6 that claims to cover many different ways to juice your bat, including shaving
http://cgi.ebay.com/DOCTOR-ENDLOAD-JUICE-SHAVE-ANY-SOFTBALL-BAT-HOW-TO_W0QQitemZ330121910774QQcmdZViewItem
Since it's an ebook, you should be able to receive it very quickly. (there are other options on eBay as well)

If this has helped, please click Accept so I may be credited for my effort.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to Big Dave's Post: I would just like my money back! These answers are not helpful. that is my final request!
Big Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave, Consultant