General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

What identical food products are sold both under the Trader ...

Customer Question
What identical food products are...
What identical food products are sold both under the Trader Joes's name and under Aldi's brand names. Thanks
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: General
4/7/2007
Expert: The Geezer, Successful careers replied 10 years ago
The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
"... Welcome to Trader Joe's. About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founder Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs. But where Aldi carries such basics as toilet paper and canned peas, TJ's, as it's known, stocks eclectic and upscale foodstuffs for the wine-and-cheese set at down-to-earth prices..."

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880016.htm

Since the Aldi (short for Albrecht Discount originally) founders trust owns Trader Joe's, I would be surprising if all of Trader Joe's own "house brand" foods and beverages WEREN'T sold in both sets of stores, different packages with identical contents.

"...Aldi opened its first U.S. store in Iowa in 1976 and has sales of $4.8 billion in North America, according to M+M. And Trader Joe's Co., a specialty grocer owned by a family trust that Aldi co-founder Theo Albrecht created for his sons, has become the hottest thing in U.S. retailing by extending the Aldi concept to upscale products like wine and cashew butter.

Aldi aims to open 40 stores a year until 2010, bringing the U.S. total to 1,000. Aldi is even buying up sites from retailers..."

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880010.htm

"...Trader Joe's describes itself as "your unique grocery store". Products sold at "TJ's" include gourmet foods, organic foods, vegetarian food, unusual frozen foods, imported foods, domestic and imported wine, and "alternative" food items as well as basics like bread, cereal, and eggs. Some non-food items, including personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and a selection of plants and flowers are also available. Many of the company's products are considered environmentally friendly.

Trader Joe's sells many items from any of several of its own private labels. Such labels are quirkily named by the ethnicity of the food in question, such as Trader Jose's (Mexican food), Trader Ming's (Chinese food), Baker Josef's (bagels), Trader Giotto's (Italian food), Trader Joe-San (Japanese food), and Trader Darwin (vitamins).

Trader Joe's is also known as the exclusive retailer of Charles Shaw wine, popularly known as Two Buck Chuck because of its $1.99 a bottle price (although in some locales it sells for as much as $3.99 a bottle, due to varying state liquor taxes and transportation costs)...."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trader_Joe's

And these are just a few of what must be hundreds of Trader Joe's/Aldi's identical food products sold in both stores.

Kind of makes you wonder why they don't call all their stores by one name or the other, but not both!
The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
The Geezer
The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers