Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Licensed Professional Counselor
Experience:  6+ yrs of college and I still love to learn! Put my education and research skills to work for you.
3241695
Type Your Question Here...

What is the minimum age requirement to attend university in England

My understanding is that you are done with compulsory education in England at age 16. Correct? Then do students, if they qualify, go on to university level education at age 16 or do they do further study until age 18 and then go to a university?
Category: General
Expert:  Dee replied 10 years ago.

Hi Mary,

Yes to the first part of your question.English children are required by law to have an education until they are 16 years old. Education is compulsory, but school is not,children are not required to attend school. They could be educated at home.

At the age of 16, students write an examination called the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education). All students are tested in mathematics, English literature, English composition, chemistry, biology, physics, history or the Classics, one modern language, and one other subject, such as art or computer studies.

After completing the GCSE, some students leave school, others go onto technical college, whilst others continue at high school for two more years and take a further set of standardized exams, known as A levels, in three or four subjects. These exams determine whether a student is eligible for university.

Hope this helps! Thank you for using JustAnswer and have a super day!

Dee, Research Specialist
Experience: 35 yrs in Art Industry, Gallery owner, Illustrator, Designer, Teacher, Private Firm Researcher
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Diane's Post: Hi Diane,

Sorry for the delay and I will be happy to see you are paid for your research. Now, if a child, 16 years old has received his annual grades that are nationally ranked and received a perfect score of 9 A*, is he eligible to attend university the next year or must he continue for another 2 years until age 18 and then attend university?

Thanks,Mary
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I asked a follow up question after receiving the answer to my first question so am requesting an answer to that.
Thanks,
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 10 years ago.
According to this page:
http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Course/Guide.htm

You son may be elligible to take "college" or "further education" courses at his age because of his scores. There may be some universities who will work with "gifted" children and allow him to takke classes based on his scores instead of his age.

Contact http://www.nagty.ac.uk/index.aspx for information about their programs, and programs that may be closer to home that can meet your son's needs.

This article also has some interesting info and links, because it looks like you're not alone in this "age doesn't match grades" gap:
http://findoutmore.dfes.gov.uk/2007/02/sixteen_and_thi.html

Hope this helps,
Selah
Experience: 6+ yrs of college and I still love to learn! Put my education and research skills to work for you.