General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

How can I repair an aritifical fur trim from a ski jacket ...

Customer Question
How can I repair an...
How can I repair an aritifical fur trim from a ski jacket that my daughter put in the washer and dryer. It's matted.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: General
1/28/2007
Expert: M.C., Senior Research Associate replied 10 years ago
M.C.
M.C., Senior Research Associate
Hello, and thanks for a great question.

When artificial fur is washed and dried, it will get matted as you described. There is really no way to fix the existing trim. You can try to brush it out, but if it is truly matted it will not help.

I suggest visiting your local fabric store and purchasing a piece of similar artificial fur. I know our local store has close to 30 different kinds. You can either sew it on yourself or hire a seamstress to do the job. Most alteration shops should be able to handle the job. If you remove the trim, do not discard it before the new piece is made, as you can use the old trim as a template.

Another option is to contact the manufacturer of the jacket and see if they have replacement trim. They may be able to do the repair for you as well.

If you recently purchased the jacket (usually within the last 12 months) and used a credit card, your credit card company may offer an automatic warranty that protects against just about any damage you can imagine. Just give them a call to check it out.

I hope this information is helpful. If it is, please kindly click the "Accept" button. Bonus and feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wishes!

M.C.
M.C., Senior Research Associate
M.C.
M.C.
M.C., Senior Research Associate