General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Can you find the poem that starts If you go first and I remain

Customer Question
What is the rest of...
What is the rest of the poem that starts "If You Go First and I Remain"? This is a poem about a spouse who has lost her/his mate.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: General
10/20/2006
Expert: 4ren6, Forensic Specialist replied 11 years ago
4ren6
4ren6, Forensic Specialist

here you are.

Should you go first and I remain

To walk the road alone,

I'll live in memory's garden, dear,

With happy days we've known.

In Spring I'll wait for roses red,

When fades the lilac blue,

In early Fall, when brown leaves call

I'll catch a glimpse of you.

http://www.milwinkennel.bizland.com/poems/GoFirst.html

Let me know if you need more help.

I am finding many now..........

Should you go first and I remain

To walk the road alone,

I'll live in memory's garden, dear,

With happy days we've known.

In Spring I'll wait for roses red,

When fades the lilac blue,

In early Fall, when brown leaves call

I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Reply to 4ren6's Post: This is not the poem. The poem you found is about a dog. The poem I am looking for is about the loss of a spouse.

Look at the second post and then this one also.

http://susie1114.com/BeyondTheSunset22.htm

There are many to this style wording.

4ren6
4ren6, Forensic Specialist

It would appear that the last link is the one indeed that your searching for.

same as above link. But this appears to be your requested poem. Let me know if not and I will continue.

Here is one last version. It appears the above is the primary and there are rewritten versions.

Should you go first and I remain to walk the road alone, I'll live in memory's garden, dear, with happy days we've known. In spring I'll watch for roses red when fades the lilac blue, and in early fall when brown leaves call, I'll catch a glimpse of you.
Should you go first and I remain for battles to be fought, each thing you've touched along the way will be a hallowed spot. I'll hear your voice, I'll see your smile and though blindly I may grope, the memory of your helping hand will bore me on with hope; and should you go first and I remain to finish with the scroll, no lengthening shadows shall creep in to make this life seem droll. We've known so much of happiness and we've had our cup of joy, but memory is one gift of God that death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain, one thing I'd have you do: walk slowly down that long, long path for soon I'll follow you, and I'll want to know each step you take that I may walk the same, for someday, someday down that lonely road you'll hear me call your name.

Just let me know if any of these are what you had thought of.

Reply to 4ren6's Post: This is not the poem I am looking for. The second line of the poem goes...go slowly down that path..

As I mentioned sir there are many versions and here is one now with the notation of the path. But it is not the second line. The third paragraph.

Should You Go First

Should you go first and I remain
To walk the road alone
I'll live in memory's garden, dear
With happy days we've known
In spring I'll watch for roses red
When fades the lilac blue,
In early fall when brown leaves call
I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain
For battles to be fought,
Each thing we've touched along the way
Will be a hallowed spot.
I'll hear your voice, I'll see your smile,
Though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand
Will buoy me on with hope.
Should you go first and I remain
To finish with this scroll,
No lengthening shadows shall creep in
To make this life seem droll.
We've known so much of happiness,
We've had our cup of joy,
And memory is one of gift of God
That death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain,
One thing I'd have you do:
Walk slowly down that long, lone path
For soon I'll follow you.
I'll want to know each step you take
That I may walk the same,
For some day down that lonely road
You'll hear me call your name.

And yet another one with the requested "path". They all vary.

http://www.c6872.com/dalepoems2_c6.html

4ren6
4ren6
4ren6, Forensic Specialist