General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

how to make home-made snake repellent that really works, but not harmf

Customer Question
lately while mowing the backyard...
lately while mowing the backyard my husband noticed what seem to be a baby snake.we're not fans of these creatures and it does concerns me, because my little ones enjoy the backyard. I had seen a show on hgtv where this gardener had made snake repellent that was safe to use around children.please help if you have a recipe for home-made snake repellent. I don't won't to terrify my little ones,but they are wondering why we no longer enjoy the backyard.truth is I'm terrified of snakes.please help!
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: General
9/15/2006
Expert: Viki, Internet Researcher replied 11 years ago
Viki
Viki, Internet Researcher

Most people who make homemade snake repellent, use mothballs (naphthalene). For what it's worth, the government says there is no known snake rellent that works. (however, the EPA has approved "snake-a-way', the only approved commercial product to get rid of snakes; it contains naphthalene as the active ingredient)

I will give you a couple of links that may help. Bear in mind, that the only proof that homemade repellent works is anecdotal evidence.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/snakes/removing.html -DNR site

http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeinfo.htm -Snake-A-Way info, also sold at Home Depot

http://www.blufftontoday.com/node/7553 -discussion forum thread on this topic

featured content

Homemade snake repellent explained  

Although using dangerous chemicals for pest control is far from uncommon, there are solutions for people seeking a homemade snake repellent. Not every method will work, but you may find you’re able to keep snakes from your property if you utilize the following guidelines.  

Identifying the best snake repellent  

Unfortunately, there isn’t any single best snake repellent available in stores – some are toxic to pets and children, and others haven’t been proven effective. There are other options, however, including electronic snake repellers and the removal of suitable habitat on your property.  

Snakes gravitate to where they will feel most comfortable, so you can try getting rid of conditions that suit their shelter preferences. Clearing out tall grass, rock piles and brushy areas will help you make your yard less attractive to wandering snakes.  

Using natural snake repellents for pest issues  

Natural ingredients have been proven to keep snakes away. According to the University of Texas, all natural oils are used by U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services to repel snakesCinnamon and clove oils can be sprayed, once diluted by 1 gallon of water for every 6 drops. Strips of fabric and cotton balls can also be soaked in the oils and placed in problem areas.  

Keeping snakes away with practical steps  

If you’ve encountered snakes in your house, or you’re trying to keep them from coming in, the Humane Society offers some tips for snake prevention around the home:  

• Inspect the house’s foundation, looking out for doors or basement windows that aren’t fully sealed. Seal all openings like these, with extra emphasis around ground level.  
  • As some snakes are adept climbers, be mindful of any trees, stone walls or other structures that might grant them access to the roof.   
  • Check behind porches and where houses connect to decks for possible openings.  

Snakes aren't difficult to keep under control, so there's no need to resort to chemical solutions if you'd prefer not to.  

Viki
Viki
Viki, Internet Researcher