General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

how can I sell my product and donate a portion to a charity

We design and make jewelry...
We design and make jewelry of various price points. We would like to sell our product and donate a portion to a portion to a charity. How do we contact and get permission to do this from charities? What is involved in setting up this type of arrangement? Thank you.
10/13/2005
Lee
Lee, Internet Researcher
Customer DEPENDING ON WHICH STATE YOU ARE IN YOU CAN EITHER SET UP YOUR BUSINESS AS A NON-PROFIT BUSINESS THROUGH YOUR SMALL BUSINESS ASSOCIATION, OR CONTACT YOUR CHOOSEN CHARITY DIRECTOR. THE DIRECTOR, OR OFFICERS OF YOUR CHOOSEN CHARITY WILL BE LISTED. MOST CHARITIES HAVE WEB SITES.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO SET YOUR BUSINESS UP AS A NON-PROFIT THERE USUALLY A REDUCTION IN PURCHASE PRICE OF THE SUPPLIES YOU USE TO CONSTRUCT YOUR PRODUCT. HOPE THIS HELPS IS SO PRESS ACCEPT.
Lee
Lee, Internet Researcher
Reply to Lee's Post: We want to keep a portion and donate a portion. So this wouldn't qualify as "non-profit". Is this a possibility?
Relist: No answer yet.
Second response to my reply question has not yet been received.
Tammy
Tammy, Not an active Expert

No. This is not a possibility. In order to set up a non profit organization, you have to have a specific charitable purpose. It might be helping animals, the homeless, etc, but it has to have a specific charitable purpose and your activities would reflect this purpose in everything that you do as a business. If you are trying to earn any type of profit for yourself, you cannot set up a non profit.

You can still donate a portion of your sales to a non profit. This is not a problem. Just choose a worthy group and ask for a receipt when you make your donation.

Does this make sense?

If you have more questions, just let me know. I have set up non profits and businesses in the past and am currently president of one.

Reply to tfalkner's Post: Thanks. One thing I'm not clear on though, don't you have to have permission from the charity to use their name when selling the product? How does that work?

Let me know if you still have questions. I fear that you did not get a correct answer to start with and that you will still have question about this whole idea.

If my answer was helpful to you, don't forget to accept it! If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Our messages must have crossed as I posted. Yes. You will want to have permission from a charity to use their name. You might be in violation of their ethics or beliefs. For example, a planned parenthood organization would not want to accept donations from a business that sold sex toys. LOL Just an example.

Just give a non profit a call and see if they would like to receive a portion of your sales. Then you can list on your distribution that 10% (or however much) of your total sales will be donated to the humane society (or a non profit of your choosing). You can even be broad and say "disaster victims" or "the homeless." Be prepared to submit annual statements that show your contributions and sustantiate your claims.

I hope this helps more!

Tammy
Tammy, Not an active Expert
Reply to tfalkner's Post: I just sent a follow up question. Didn't you receive it?
Yes. You will want to have permission from a charity to use their name. You might be in violation of their ethics or beliefs. For example, a planned parenthood organization would not want to accept donations from a business that sold sex toys. LOL Just an example.

I hope this helps more!

Tammy
Tammy, Not an active Expert
Reply to tfalkner's Post: Thanks. That last post was very helpful.
You are more than welcome! Glad I could help!
Tammy
Tammy
Tammy, Not an active Expert