A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I have names of great-great grandparents from Killarney,

I have names of great-great grandparents from Killarney, Ireland who emigrated to the United States but no birth dates
JA: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.
Customer: Martin Shaughnessy and Margaret Droney married. They were both from Killarney, County Kilkenny, Ireland. They died in the United States.
JA: Is there anything else the Genealogist should be aware of?
Customer: He was a farmer

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Do you know when they came to the US?

Where did they live in the US?

Do you know if they had children and their names?

By the way, Killarney is in Co. Kerry, not Co. Kilkenny.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello A Schuyler,
Thank you for contacting me via email -- I sent several SMS to you.
My carrier has blocked them.
I will retype the SMS messages to you tomorrow and send via this email address.
Thank you!
Colleen

Hello, Colleen

Just Answer cannot receive SMS. To make sure any information gets to me, you can type your information in the reply box here and I will get it. It will also become part of the entire exchange so that you can copy and print it at your leisure.

Kind regards

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
1. Hello Schuyler the date they arrived is one of the things for which I am searching.
Looking at the Ellis island archives he could have arrived 1849.
Three Shaughnessy arrived on the Caractaus: James, Mitch and Martin.
2. In 1862 Martin Shaughnessy arrived on the America.
3. Martin and Margaret Droney had a son born in Middle Granville New York January 4, 1868: Martin Joseph Shaughnessy

Thanks so much, Colleen,

If they arrived in New York prior to 1892, it would have been at Castle Garden (1820-1891), since Ellis Island didn't open until 01 January 1892.

I will see what I can find.

The ones who arrived on the Caractacus 04 May 1849 were *****, ***** and Michael (that's what Mich. stands for). They all wound up in Minnesota in the spring of 1855, where they joined their brother John who was one of the first settlers of Washington Lake, MN in 1854. They were the children of Michael Shaughnessy and Margarita Cain of Killaloe parish in Co. Clare.

The curious thing is that I can't find your Martin and Margaret in the 1860 or 1870 censuses anywhere in New York. I expected to find them there since you mentioned son Martin J. was born there in 1868.

It's particularly difficult since Shaughnessy is such a common name in Ireland and so are the given names: Michael, Patrick, *****, *****, Catherine, Bridget, etc.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello A. Schuyler,
I have been responding ... apparently they entered "illegally" hahahahaha.
This is a mystery ... for sure...
Thank you for your help,
Cordially,
Colleen

Hi again, Colleen

It doesn't necessarily mean that they entered the country illegally. It may mean that they entered somewhere other than New York, and on a passenger manifest that has not been transcribed and published or it may not still exist.

I had another thought: Do you know if Martin J. had siblings and their names?

I found an 1880 census for*****, Cohoes, Albany Co., NY with the following:

• Mathew Baker 40 M b Ireland - Laborer
  • Marguerite Baker 42 F b Ireland - Keeping house
  • Nora Baker 13 F b Vermont Daughter - Works in cotton mill
  • Darb Baker 11 M b NY Son
  • ***** ***** 9 F b NY Daughter
  • ***** ***** 6 M b NY Son
  • Mary Shaughnessy 17 F b NY Stepdaughter
  • Timothy Shaughnessy 15 M Stepson - Works in cotton mill
  • William Shaughnessy 13 M Stepson - Works in cotton mill
  • Martin Shaughnessy 12 M Stepson - Works in cotton mill
  • Margaret Shaughnessy 10 F Stepdaughter - Works in cotton mill
  • Kate Shaughnessy 9 F Stepdaughter
  • Bridget Shaughnessy F Stepdaughter
  • John Shaughnessy 5 M Stepson
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hahaha! I was kidding about entering illegally (current american humor based on the white noise occupant)
Actually there was a Martin Joseph Shaughnessy...who married Mira Widowson if I remember correctly... I am not home right now with my files.... will send this weekend. Thank you Colleen

Yes, there is no problem tracing Martin Joseph. It's his parents who are the mystery :-)

1860 Census Dwelling #218 - North Granville, Washington Co., NY

• Henry W. Beckworth 42 M b NY Farmer & Merchant $10,000 $20,000
  • Louisa M. Beckworth 35 F b NY
  • Mary Beckworth 18 F b NY
  • William G Beckworth 11 M b NY
  • Henry N. Beckworth 8 M b NY
  • Caroline N. Beckworth 7 F b NY
  • Louisa Beckworth 4 F b NY
  • Edith Beckworth 2 F b NY
  • Edith Beckworth 76 F b NH
  • Caroline M. Gould 58 F b NH
  • Ann Midan 25 F b Ireland Servant
  • Margaret Droney 20 F b Ireland Servant
  • John Kennedy 23 M b Ireland Farm laborer
  • Patrick Connor 16 M b Ireland Farm laborer

There was a Margaret Droney baptized 02 Jul 1838 in Manister parish, Co. Limerick, Ireland, daughter of Jacobi (James) Droney and Margarita Ryan. Sponsors were Nicholas Spelman and Maria Mulcahy.

So, if this is the correct Margaret Droney, evidently Martin Shaughnessy and Margaret Droney were married in New York between the 1860 census and the birth of daughter Mary Shaughnessy in about 1863.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Oh my goodness!! Great work! Both in Granville cannot be a coincidence that they would meet!
Mary—that is a new one—so their son Martin will show up in a later census... good sleuthing A. Schuyler!

Yes, Martin J. shows up in the 1900 census in New Britain Hartford Co., CT with with "Myra" and children Martin, John, and Mira.

In 1910 they are in Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY and have added another son, Anthony.

In 1920 they are still in Watertown, with just Anthony living with them.

In 1930 and 1940 the are still in Watertown, and all the children are out on their own.

Martin J. Shaughnessy died 12 April 1950 in Watertown. Mira Widdowson Shaughnessy had died 15 Apr 1945.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Please don't forget a rating (hopefully a 5) since that is the only way I am paid anything for my work.