Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I’m trying to find information on who Heckstall’s father was…

Hello I’m trying to find...
Hello I’m trying to find information on who John Heckstall’s father was as well as who his wife Lenora Rhea’s parents and Caroline Heckstall’s parents were. John was born Grover Cleveland Heckstall, however the last name Speller may be in place of Heckstall. Caroline Heckstall was married to Hannibal Ryan as well.
9/8/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Which one of these questions would you like me to research for you?

1. Parents of John Heckstall

2. Parents of Lenora Rhea

3. Parents of Caroline Heckstall

Whichever one you choose, please provide date and place of birth since little can be researched with just a name.

Thanks!

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Hello, I’ll start with John Heckstall born in 1889, in Bertie county, NC. Do I need to ask someone else for the others?Dr. H

Not necessary to ask someone else, just post a new question. Actually, I think I am the only genealogist here.

I will see what I can find on John Heckstall and keep family connections in the back of my mind while working.

Dr. S

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Ok! I’ll just wait for you to finish with that! His name was also Grover Cleveland Speller. I have obtained a delayed birth certificate with D.G. Speller listed as the father. However, the birth certificate states that Andrew Speller was the father. I don’t know if any of these men were white or not. If it is the Andrew Speller that I am thinking then he is a descendant of Thomas Speller who is a grandfather to John’s son’s wife.Dr. H

The first discrepancy I've found is in the date of birth. In the 1900 census, Essie Heckstall states that Grover was born in August 1887 and her daughter Sarah in March 1889.

You mention a birth certificate giving Andrew Speller as the father and a delayed birth certificate giving the father as D. G. Speller. Could you post those, please since they aren't online?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Ok! One second. Ok that’s probably right.

Hello again,

So the death record shows his father as Andrew Speller. There were two (father and son) in the 1880 census for Whites, Bertie Co., NC. Either could be the father of Grover Cleveland "John C." Heckstall b 1896/7.

1880 Census - Whites, Bertie Co., NC

Andrew Speller 33 M Head Mulatto

Lucretia Speller 33 F Wife Black

Andrew Speller 14 M Son Black

W. Speller 9 M Son Black

Meatre Speller 7 F Dau Black

J. K. P. Speller 5 M Son Black

Thomas S. Speller 3 M Son Black

Ward Plummer 20 M Brother Black

Here is what Essie Heckstall has on the 1900 census (all last names are Heckstall):

Essie Heckstall 40 F widow b Oct 1859

Fatten [sic] 15 M Son b Aug 1884 (possibly Fayten (a botched nickname for Lafayette)

Grover C. 13 M Son b Aug 1887

Sarah 11 F Dau b Mar 1889

Florence 9 F b Fen 1891

Osceola 5 M b Feb 1895

Esther 2 F b Mar 1898

The attached death records for Florence Heckstall Heep (b ~ 1891) says that her father was D. G. (David George) Outlaw. Lafayette Heckstall b 15 Aug 1896 d 1938 says his parents were Andrew Speller and Essie "Hextell."

There was also a Fayten Speller (father and son). Fayten,The elder Fayten's draft registration says he was born 30 March 1896. Fayten, Jr. was born in 1934 and lived only a few days. His parents are listed as Fayten Speller, Sr. and Gregoria Rayan[sic]. I did not find a birth record for Fayten, Sr. b 1896.

I was also unable to read the original marriage register but see you supplied the transcript showing Esther/Essie Heckstall married David George Outlaw in 1900.

It is a terribly mixed up mess. Without DNA testing, I don't think there is any way to tell for sure who the father was for any of the children.

I did note that the Spellers were not white. All are listed as black except Andrew, Sr. who was mulatto.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
that’s what I have. Ok it was the grandfather then. I believe the grandfather was a descendant of the slave owner Thomas Speller since he’s listed as a mulatto. I’m hoping to use DNA matches to help me.

Yes, it will take DNA to prove descent one way or the other since censuses aren't always accurate. Neither are death records since they rely on someone other than the deceased to supply the information.

Here are some other random things I found, just in case they might help:

In the 1910 census, Essie was married to Madison Boone, and the children (Florence, Osceola, Essie S. Rachel R., and Georgia) are all listed as Outlaw, although we know she didn't marry D. G. Outlaw until 1900.

I found a death record for Sarah J. Heckstall b 1889 whose mother was Essie Heckstall and whose husband was Tom Heckstall:

Name Sarah J. Heckstall

Event Type Death

Event Date 22 May 1966

Event Place Windsor, Bertie, North Carolina

Birth Year 1889

Burial Date 25 May 1966

Burial Place Merry Hill, N. C.

Cemetery Peterson Chapel Cemetery

Residence Place Windsor, Bertie, N. C.

Address Rt. 2 Box 498

Gender Female

Age 77

Marital Status Married

Race (Original) Negro

Occupation Housewife

Birth Date 09 Mar 1889

Birthplace N. C.

Father's Name John Hollman Jr.

Mother's Name Essie Heckstall

Spouse's Name Tom Heckstall

If this is John C. (Grover C.)'s mother Essie, then here is another man in her life.

There is also a marriage record in Windsor, NC for a Eugene Cooper and Essie Heckstall. He was 20 and she was 17. The day is noted as August 2, but there is no year on the page. Both are listed as colored.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Sadly, I don’t think DNA will help me because if his father is indeed Andrew Speller and his grandfather is Thomas Speller, then it’s already on my maternal lineage as one of Thomas Speller’s other sons is my 3rd great grandfather. A lot of people were names Essie in that time frame, it’s very interesting.

Yes, it is indeed interesting. Esther seems to have been a name used often in the branches of the Heckstall family.

I wish it were clearer, but it's all just about as clear as mud! If only they had been more precise in the records of the time.

Hopefully I've been some help in corroborating some of the things you already knew and that I have earned a good rating this week (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way I am compensated for my time researching the question.

Thanks!

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I’ve been using Just Answer for genealogy for quite some time. My usual expert is Sarah. Although most of the time it is information that I already know, I have never given or thought to give her less than a 5 nor has it been a discussion as her efforts deserve to be compensated. I am hoping that you don’t have to have these discussions about compensation too often.

Sadly, the conversation is required as often as not. Many people are confused by the way Just Answer works since they've already made a deposit with the company and don't realize that the rating must be completed for their independent expert to be paid by Just Answer. Others apparently want something for nothing, or they are disappointed that the information they requested doesn't exist. Sadly we can't make it appear out of thin air. I will never make that mistake with you again. BTW, I never knew that Sarah was a genealogist. I do know that Genealogy questions placed overnight get double categoried to General where anyone can answer. I'm glad you have been pleased with the service no matter who provided it.

Kindest regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I don’t know if she is one or not? She’s just the one that I always get, very sweet lady. Yes, it is often in the wee hours of the morning that I am working on this. That is very sad to hear! No worries, I just use this as a last resort when I’m unable to connect anymore pieces. Thanks for your help!

You're so very welcome. I'm ready to work on Lenora Rhea if you want to post that as your next question.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Sadly! She will be a dead end too! :-/ her father’s name is ***** ***** death certificate but it was very common. I think I’m taking a break from it for a second. I uploaded my raw data from my dna to GEDmatch. I will see what that shows and then I’ll be in contact with you.

That's fine. I'll be around for a couple more hours tonight and tomorrow during the day.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Ok great! I’ll see what I can gather and reach back out.

That's fine.