Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I recently found the names of my German born maternal

Second opinion] I recently found...
Second opinion] I recently found the names of my German born maternal great-grandmother from the U.S. social security death index. They are Fritz Glittenberg & Alvina Kleine and they had my great-grandma Auguste Glittenberg (BIRTH 18 SEP 1890 • Weitmar, Federal Republic of Germany DEATH 13 SEP 1987 • Ballston Spa, Saratoga, New York, U.S.A.). I haven’t been able to find any records of Fritz or Alvina or Auguste’s life in Germany, including her German birth records. I would also love to find records of Auguste's two marriages in Germany and any christening (German Methodist) or birth records of her children in Germany. This is all the information I have on Auguste's life detailed below. Any information at all about Auguste's life in Germany would be extremely helpful. Thank you!In Germany, she was married to Karl Peller who died in WWI (I believe Karl was born on 15 May 1888 • Zorneding Ebersberg Bayern and they were married around 1914 and he died in 1918 fighting for the Bavarian infantry?) and later to Wilhelm Friedrich Bernhard Thiel, (BIRTH 18 AUG 1889 • Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland/DEATH 16 JAN 1953 • New York, USA).She emigrated to the U.S.A. after Wilheim Thiel had already arrived. She came through Ellis Island on March 5, 1928 on the ship Albert Ballin that left from Hamburg, Germany. She emigrated to NY with her three children, and they all settled in Schenectady, NY.1) Elisabeth Peller (BIRTH OCTOBER 27, 1915 • Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany/DEATH JANUARY 31, 2013 • Schenectady, Schenectady County, New York, USA
:Elizabeth's married surname is ***** ***** she changed the spelling of her first name). When Elisabeth was young they put her on a "kinder" train to be taken in by a family in another part of Germany that would be safe from the fighting in WWI, she was picked by a wealthy family with a governess and when she was six years old and the fighting had stopped she made the train trip back by herself and walked home from the train station to her apartment in Bochum. Luckily, her mother Auguste, who did not know she was coming home had survived the war.)2)Eric A. Thiel (Born: 5 Oct 1921 in Bochum, Germany)3)Ruth Thiel (Born 26 Feb 1924 in Bochum Germany, her married surname is Graham.)
3/23/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I am going to suggest that you close this question. There are no records in any database, so asking for a second opinion (even if there were another genealogist here) would just cost you additional money for nothing.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Hahaha. Yes, got it. I was just hoping since I found new information last night with the names of Auguste’s parents (Fritz Glittenberg & Alvina Kleine) I could find something using their names.

Not a problem. I just didn't want you to waste your money when there isn't any information available in any published database :-)

We all pay one monthly fee no matter how many questions we ask so it’s all the same regardless. Thanks so much for checking! Its been quite a wonderful journey the past couple days. :) Regarding the brand new names, do you think without having Fritz and Alvina’s dates of birth I’ll have any luck in the German records?

Since you have membership, I appreciate that you aren't chintzy in setting the value of each question. We are paid a portion of what the question value is. There is no salary, so every expert is grateful when someone asks a question and doesn't value it at $10 when we will only get a portion of that :-) Someone who is a member can value a question at $75 and it will only cost them the regular membrship fee.

It will be hard going without knowing dates of birth. Since you know Auguste's date and place of birth, I'd start with the actual birth record from the Standesamt (Civil Registry Office) in her town. It may list her parents' ages and their places of birth which would be very(!!!) helpful for you. Weitmar is a suburb of Bochum. The phone number is ***** / 910-19 51 and email is ***@******.***

Here is the google translation of their information page https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.bochum.de/C125708500379A31/vwContentByKey/W29CQGKU714BOCMDE&xid=25657,15700022,15700105,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700186,15700201&usg=ALkJrhgfqACs6gwBNXgu_9GRVCk7_Jfn6A

It is probably best to call them though.

You can always accept this again if you like since it doesn't cost you extra. LOL

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist