Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I am trying to find out when some GOUSSE left France to go…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out when some GOUSSE left France to go to Haiti and they established themselves in the towns of Miragoane and Jacmel in Haiti

Expert's Assistant: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

There is a town named Gousse in France and we guess that this would be where they come from. The closest Seaport from that town are Bordeaux, La Rochelle and Marseille

Expert's Assistant: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?

Laurent Gousse is as far as we were able to go back to on our ancestry tree in Haiti

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Genealogy
3/15/2018
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 1 month ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

When was Laurent born?

Who did he marry, when and where?

Who were their children?

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Laurent Gousse is the son of Anne Marie Dubois. I dont have the father's name. Laurent married Marguerite Duplan and had 3 children. One if his son: Nicolas Nerva Gousse was born in 1859 in the town Jacmel in Haiti. That put Laurent's birth date around 1839 or earlier. I am trying to find his connection with the Gousse or Gousses that would have left France and went to Haiti.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am the visual type. we can exchange text or email and that works better for me.

Thanks. You can ignore the automated requests for phone calls. They aren't from me, and are totally useless in Genealogy. They help customers asking computer questions and some other things.

Haitian records aren't online. You would need to look for the baptism of Laurent Gousse in the town where he was born to see who his father was. Then you would check the marriage record. That will tell you who Laurent's parents were. Then you would check for the parents' records.

Passenger records to Haiti also aren't published online. Neither are passenger records from France. In fact they likely do not still exist at all.

I will see what I can find and let you know something by the end of the weekend, but frankly, without his birth record, it doesn't look good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was thinking if we could find the passenger lists from boats living France from the ports of Marseille, La Rochelle, Bordeaux in direction to Haiti that stopped at the ports of Jacmel, Les Cayes or Miragoane. between 1790 and1815. may be that would help

There are no available passenger lists in either direction from that early. Note that I said "...Passenger records to Haiti also aren't published online. Neither are passenger records from France. In fact they likely do not still exist at all...."

I can see where you might think that is useful, but it isn't. Only knowing who Laurent's parents were and tracing them backward generation by generation will let you know where his family was from. There may have been lots of people named Gousse who came to Haiti, but that doesn't tell you which one was his father. There is also the possibility that he was an illegitimate child of Anne Marie Dubois.

I found published records of only two people born in the town of Gousse - one in 1860 and one in 1866. Neither was named Gousse. There were also Gousse families in Germany.

The only way to determine the information you want is to find the original church records in Haiti.

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist