Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I've used Ancestry.Com world subscription but run into dead…

I've used Ancestry.Com world subscription...
I've used Ancestry.Com world subscription but run into dead ends pretty quickly. My father's was born in rio de Janeiro and his family is Brazilian (last name Rego) and there are no documents or leads whatsoever for Brazil. I also run into a dead end on my mother's side of the family (maiden name Thuener), her mother is German and the father of my mother's mother aka my great-grandfather was named Karl Peller and died in Germany in WWI when my grandma (Elizabeth Peller) was two years old. We have no info and can't seem to find any more info on him other than one German documented muster paper. We have no idea who his parents were. Since I am a first generation American on my dad's side and only a second generation American on my mom's side, do you have advice about doing international genealogical research? Specifically in Brazil and Germany?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the Thuener-Rego family tree thus far on Ancestry.Com https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/18953175/family
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

We can research only one person per question. Please let me know what one person you want me to try to trace. Then tell me everything you know about that person, not just a picture on a graph, or what someone else had posted on ancestry.com. Ancestry.com has few records at all from South America.

Where exactly in Brazil was Mr. Rego born? What was his full name? Who did he marry, when and where? Did he stay in Brazil or move elsewhere? If he did move, where?

I will try to help you find if there are any records. However, most records from everywhere in South America aren't online. One has to find a genealogist in the town where the person was born to look up baptism records, or civil registration.

Also, please keep in mind that most countries worldwide do not release civil registration until at least 100 years after the birth, and some countries for 110 years.

Looking forward to helping you,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! If that's the case let me bookmark Brazil and try to find more information on my great-grandfather in Germany instead. Karl Peller was born on May 15, 1888 in Zorneding, Bavaria, Germany, He married (my-great grandma) Auguste Glittenberg in Germany. They had one child my maternal grandma, Elisabeth Peller on Oct 27, 1915 in Bochum, Germany. Karl died as a German soldier in WWI in 1918. I would like to know who Karl's parents were and more about him. Since he died when my grandma was so young we know nothing about his family or who he was.

I'll be happy to research this for you. It may take a day or two. I'm about ready to call it a night :-)

Thanks,

Schuyler

No reply is necessary. You will get another email if I need more information or when I have finished checking the German records.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His name appears in volumes 2979, 3010, 3011, 8423, 8434, 8607, 8612 8613, 8615 of the Kriegsranglisten und-stammrollen des Konigreichs Bayern, 1. Weltkreig 1914-1918 (translation: Citation Details Associates facts media War Rankings and Trial Scrolls of the Kingdom of Bavaria, 1st World War 1914-1918)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I’m reading this correctly... If grandpa Karl was in the 15th Bavarian Reserve infantry devision in WWI. Hitler served as a soldier in the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry devision as a young man. That's crazy. They may have crossed paths or fought together. Dear God.

"...That's crazy. They may have crossed paths or fought together. Dear God...."

Holy cow! You are reading it correctly.

I'm still working on Karl.

Sorry but there is no record of Karl Peller (or any variation I can think of) born in Germany. I also did not find a burial place for him, but this isn't unusual. Not every cemetery has been recorded and published. He may also have been buried in a group with other soldiers who didn't survive that battle.

There is no published record of his marriage to Auguste Glittenberg, which is unusual. Germany has excellent records going back to before Napoleon and births up to about 1907 and marriages older than about 100 years have been published in various databases.

I'm just sorry there isn't more data to learn who his parents were.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you think of the war records I found?

I think they are definitely your Karl Peller. DOB is right on. Peller isn't/wasn't a common surname in Germany, and that combined with his known death in the war makes it a slam dunk in my book.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s so strange we can’t find a marriage record especially since Peller is such an uncommon name in Germany. They lived in Bochum where their daughter Elisabeth was born. Do you know what could have happened to the marriage record? (If it’s any help they were German Methodists and probably were married in a church?) His family was very mean to Auguste and wanted nothing to do with her or Elisabeth after Karl died so I’m not sure...

It's possible that the records didn't survive the bombings and subsequent fires during WWII. I've helped a lot of families with German genealogy (including my husband's) and sometimes there just aren't records. If something happened and it was registered in the local Standesamt (as all births, marriages, divorces, and deaths had to be within 10 days of the event), and the Rathaus was bombed before a copy could be sent to the central archives, then the record was just lost forever There is a possibility (a lesser one though) that his particular church refused permission to microfilm the church records. However, even if that was the case, there still should be a civil record unless it didn't survive bombings.

There is a similar case in Ireland where there are no census records prior to the one in 1921. Almost all of the others were lost during the fires in the Easter Uprising of 1916.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s absolutely fascinating, since Elisabeth was born in Oct. 1915 Karl and Auguste were probably married in/around Bochum, Germany in 1913. I’m going to try to dig up the names of any German Methodist churches that were around then so I can hopefully do some sleuthing if/when I can take a trip out there and look in person.

LOL. Actually that is what ends up happening in a lot of cases. We went to Germany several times tracing my husband's family. Great vacations, but not cheap.

An alternative is to hire someone in Germany who can do the in-person sleuthing for you. If you decide to go that route, you can find competent people at www.progenealogists.com (they are associated with ancestry.com) or www.apgen.org which is usually less expensive and just as competent. Last time I checked progenealogists started at about $2500.

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, wow! This has been so helpful. I can’t thank you enough!
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist