Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

My gggrandmother was a Jewish woman from Turkey. Her surname…

My gggrandmother was a...

My gggrandmother was a Jewish woman from Turkey. Her surname was Dragoon. Do you know anything about this name?

Expert's Assistant: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

Our Askanazi cami we’re wheat traders from Odessa. She was rather daughter if someone they traded with in Turkey. She married into our family, the Chaimskys who became Nelson’s in America.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?

I found the Jewish name Dragoonarbor , aJewish name in Toledo, Spain. perhaps that was her name and shortened?

3/9/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

The surname Dragoon isn't typically Turkish or Jewish. Of course, surnames don't have religions. There are just too many Catholic Goldschmidts and too many Jewish Andrews.

I wonder what her original name was. It appears that Dragoon may have been an easier to undestand version of something more complicated.

Of course, the only way to be positive about her background is to get the records, one generation at a time until you get back to her. There aren't any Dragoons or Dragoonarbors in any of my genealogy databases from anywhere in the world.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you but I assumed it was Spanish not Turkistan and that the fam left Spain during Inquisition for Turkey
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oops Turkish

Like I said, there aren't any Dragoons or Dragoonarbors in any of my genealogy databases from anywhere in the world.

Dragoon in Turkish is Zulmetmek, so that isn't how a name change occurred. Spanish for Dragoon is Dragón and it comes from the monster. In some countries it was Dragoon and referred to a standardbearer. That may have been why it was adopted by some Jewish families.

However, that is all speculation. The only way to learn about your gggrandmother is to reseach from what you do know backward generation by generation. That is the way all genealogy is done.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. No one is alive who would know anything
But I think she married a Chaimsky or maybe a Saltz and moved across the Black Sea to Odessa

You could try looking for physical marriage records there. But I agree it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I looked for several hours with no result. There is no marriage record for such a surname in any published database from anywhere in the world.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist