Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

Could you tell me if I have any Jewish backround. Not that I…

Customer Question
Hello Expert's Assistant: Hi...

Hello

Expert's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Could you tell me if I have any Jewish backround

Expert's Assistant: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

Ok

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Genealogy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My great grandmother was born in Russia but it stops there I don’t know much of the rest of the history
1/2/2018
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 1 month ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Being born in Russia really doesn't have much to do with religion at all. Can your grandmother or mother tell you what religion they were?

If none of your family knows anything about their religious roots, you could consider a DNA test. Since it is your great grandmother, a mtDNA test might be best. Mitochondrial DNA is passed by a woman to both her sons and daughters all down the line. If your great grandmother were Jewish, that DNA would be passed down the line. You can read more about the types of DNA testing here:

https://www.familytreedna.com/?idev_id=336&utm_source=336&utm_medium=affiliate

To trace her line directly, you would need to know her date and place of birth in Russia, when she came to the US, etc. It is extremely difficult to get information about records in Russia. Nothing is online, and requests for information, even if written in Russian to the local authorities can take months for a response even if there is any response at all. Often checks are cashed and no response is ever given.

Another possibility is to hire a genealogist who is in Russia who can go to the local courts and look up the records for you. Competent people can be found at www.progenealogists.com or www.aapg.org.

Do you have additional questions about this?

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist