Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I am related to the Pamunkey Indian, as are a lot of people.

Customer Question
I want to know my...
I am related to the Pamunkey Indian, as are a lot of people. I want to know my relationship to Greace Frizer Meese, Ontonah Mary Arroyah Wahanganoche, and Kaokee Powhatan Stream. My family runs down the female like till the 1840's. My Great grand parents are Hendrix Solon Adair & Esie Mae Grier Adair, and the line goes up the Machen lineage.Please help me figure this out. I can trace it directly but the family search.org is broken and won't tell me how I am related to her. Generally I am looking for my families Native heritage. There are a few women in my family in the 18th century that appear out of no where it seems with no information that I can find, and wonder if they are native as a side note to those mentioned above.Can you help?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Genealogy
I will make it $40 if it is super detailed. There is a woman named Savannah Dancer in my line. It makes me wonder if she is native, as names like that or plants, animals, and food are usually natives. Green, Berry, and many Others are very common on the rolls. My last name is ***** ***** wonder how my great grandparents are related to the Adair lineage or native Americans if they are and how the Grier lineage is related. Both seem to be. The funny thing is no one in my family believed the Adair side to be but the Grier side as many stories and my great grandmother said her tribal registry burned up in a fire. Not to sound racist but if you saw the woman you would think she was native, she passed in 2009.
12/7/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 4 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

thank you.
No phone calls. busy doing other things.

You can ignore the phone call messages. They are automatically generated and are totally useless when dealing with genealogy questions.

The only way to trace anyone's ancestry is to start with what you know absolutely for sure and go backward one generation at a time. For instance, most people can readily give the full names and dates/places of birth of their parents and grandparents. Then you trace the ancestry backwards one generation at a time. No one ever starts with a supposed ancestor born in the 1600s and comes to the 22nd century. That involves researching thousands of people. most all of which will end in a dead end.

Oh the pamunkey recently fought for federal recognition so I think it is online just for crowd sourcing family information. I can name every pairing to those listed and it is freely online. I just am unsure what it means for relation and what they are considered. my great aunts or if they are too far removed.

A great aunt is your grandmother or grandfather's sister. So great aunt isn't in the equation. You would need to be able to trace your heritage directly backward to determine exactly what relationship they are to you.

Since you haven't provided any information about how you descend from these people. here is a genealogy chart that will explain exactly what relationship you are.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LL3Z-T15I am eleven people removed with all of them being women except three men. I am confused at what the chart is saying. That above is the chart I am looking at.from Grace Frizer Meese a pamunkey indian:1) John waken eskew & Mary Catherine Ashton
2) James oconnor & Mary M eskew
3) Frances ballenger & Sarah Conner
4) Henry Machen & Frances Ballenger
5) James Machen & Dorcas Payne
6) Henry W. Machen & Nancy Machen
7) Anderson Green & Savannah dancer machen
8)William Hendrix Adair & Mary Isabelle green - Adair ( someone) I thought was on the Dawes rolls with illegitimate children. same location in Alabama and same age as a person on 1900 Dawes rolls.
9) Hendrix Solon Adair & wise Mae Grier Adair ( my great grand parents)

If indeed this is a true proven descendancy, then Grace Frizer Meese would be your 10th great grandmother. (great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother).

However, as with all family trees submitted to the various web sites, there is little information about what has been verified and what is just a guess (or wishful thinking). In genealogy, we say that if you can't go to a source (a piece of paper - Bible record, tax list, tithe record, census, official roll) then the relationship doesn't exist or is just a guess until it is proven.

Did you need any other information before rating (hopefully a "5") so I am credited with providing your answer?

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist