Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

A. Berríos, I faid out truth Ancestry.com ,my ancestro in…

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****íos...

Hi my name is*****íos , I faid out truth Ancestry.com ,my ancestro in 13th century are Jewish from Vizcaya, Spain. Mymbith

Expert's Assistant: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

My birth place is Puerto Rico, I live now in Orlando Florida. I want to now

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Genealogist should be aware of?

If is thruth I have Sephardic Jewish descendent.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Genealogy
11/21/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 8 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Hello, Luis,

DNA doesn't lie. However, the test only says that you have markers in your DNA that are also found in Sephardic Jews from 13th century Spain.

The only way to learn your own personal ancestors is to trace your family history from yourself backwards one generation at a time.

Just about everybody knows the full names and dates/places of birth, marriage and death off their parents, and often their grandparents and great-grandparents as well. If you don't personally know it, you can often find it from your parents and other family members. From there you can trace backwards through wills, deeds, Bible and other religious records, taxes, etc.

It is very, very difficult to go backwards to the 1200s (13th century) though, because written records usually did not survive. Most people do well to find information before 1700 even with the help of professional genealogists and the most exhaustive research possible.