Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I have been trying to locate a high school friend who's

Customer Question
I have been trying...

I have been trying to locate a high school friend who's father was stationed in france in 1957 58 &59. I believe the fathers name was col. George McCafferty

Expert's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in North Carolina. Mary McCafferty went to Immaculata Seminary and I went to St John's both high schools were in the District of Columbia 1955 &56

Expert's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Expert's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I have . They lived on Lemon Road in McLean Virginia during 56&56

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Genealogy
11/18/2017
Genealogy Expert: VisaSpecialist,
 replied 8 months ago
VisaSpecialist

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

My father was in the Air Force during the same period. I figure if I help you out I will also find some of my friends as well! Give me some time to research this.

Genealogy Expert: VisaSpecialist,
 replied 8 months ago

How old do you think she is?

If Mary Elizabeth McCafferty is alive she would be 75 or 76 years old.
Genealogy Expert: VisaSpecialist,
 replied 8 months ago

Thank you. I have some emails out already. looking for her. I will let you know what I find.​

Genealogy Expert: VisaSpecialist,
 replied 8 months ago

My first email response turned up nothing but I am still looking.

Genealogy Expert: VisaSpecialist,
 replied 8 months ago

Thank you. I have some emails out already. looking for her. I will let you know what I find.

I can’t find anything on Mary McCafferty. I did find that her father, Col. George McCafferty of Worcester, Massachusetts, was the operations officer for the 317th Troop Carrier Wing at Evreux, France,

Sorry. I am going to release this task so someone else can look for her.

Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 8 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

I spent some time answering this exhaustively for a customer named Mike just a couple days ago. Sadly, he never came back and read it.

The only Mary Elizabeth McCafferty I found was in a high school yearbook for 1957 in Dayton, Pennsylvania.

There is no marriage or death record for her under that name.

Here is the exchange with the other customer.

"

Customer:

how can I locate the daughter of an officer serving in France in1957 or 58

Expert's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Expert's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Expert's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The man was a cornel in marrines or army hame was probably George McCafferty

17 Nov 2017, 10:04 PM

Me

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

20 Nov 2017, 5:38 PM

Me

I'll try to help, even though I don't quite see how it is possible to find someone whose name, age, and branch of service your aren't sure of.

Most service records are not online. Just doing a quick search on the name George McCafferty, I found several thousand of them in my databases, any one of whom could be the man whose daughter you are looking for. Seven hundred fifty of them were known to have served in some branch of the service.

Here is one online resource:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/veterans/online

Here's where you can find what army records that are online (the database is down at the moment but they say they are working on it):

http://armyrecordsonline.com/army-personnel-records/

Here is how you request military records:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

This one gives a description of what is actually in the archives.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/record-request-notice

Odds are that someone who was colonel (even a Lt. Col) in 1958/9 would be dead by now.

You might also try http://www.findagrave.com. Sometimes they will include obituary information listing children and a name might jog your memory."