Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

How can I locate the daughter of an officer serving in

Customer Question
How can I locate...

How can I locate the daughter of an officer serving in France in1957 or 58

Expert's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Expert's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Expert's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The man was a cornel in marrines or army hame was probably George McCafferty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Genealogy
Answered in 2 days by:
11/20/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 7 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I'll try to help, even though I don't quite see how it is possible to find someone whose name, age, and branch of service your aren't sure of.

Most service records are not online. Just doing a quick search on the name George McCafferty, I found several thousand of them in my databases, any one of whom could be the man whose daughter you are looking for. Seven hundred fifty of them were known to have served in some branch of the service.

Here is one online resource:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/veterans/online

Here's where you can find what army records that are online (the database is down at the moment but they say they are working on it):

http://armyrecordsonline.com/army-personnel-records/

Here is how you request military records:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

This one gives a description of what is actually in the archives.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/record-request-notice

Odds are that someone who was colonel (even a Lt. Col) in 1958/9 would be dead by now.

You might also try http://www.findagrave.com. Sometimes they will include obituary information listing children and a name might jog your memory.