Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

Cannot seem to find the name of my ancestors "Moran" Were…

Customer Question
Cannot seem to find...

Cannot seem to find the name of my ancestors "Moran" Were they mostly from a certain area or town of Ireland?

Expert's Assistant: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

Is the surname "Moran" from a certain part of Ireland

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Genealogy
10/4/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 10 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

The surname Moran is a very common name all over Ireland from one end to the other. The greatest concentrations came from the counties of Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Leitrim, Dublin, and Kerry, with others coming from Westmeath, Kildare, Wexford, and Limerick. However, by 1750 there wasn't a county in Ireland where the Moran surname wasn't found.

What have you tried so far in tracing your family backward to Ireland?